Fixing small gouges iMac Front aluminum

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chromedome45, Dec 23, 2014.

1. chromedome45 macrumors newbie

As title suggests is there any way to fix the 2 small gouges in the front panel of my iMac? They are as you can see in the front panel aluminum frame.

Of course other than replacing the whole rear housing.

Attached Files:

2. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

You basically can't other than by replacing the housing.

With that said, I believe some companies make paint that'll match and at least make it look consistent, so that's an option.

3. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

If you strip the iMac down to the bare chassis and sand it with a suitably fine sandpaper, you could get a decent result. Without testing it, it's difficult to know how fine, but something in the 1000 to 1500 grit range might do it. You'd have to be careful to keep the sanding motion all in one direction and you could get a decent brushed aluminium finish.

The small snag is that the Apple logo is painted on, so I think to do this and to keep the brushed aluminium effect looking decent, would mean losing the Apple logo.

All up, it's only something I would try as a last resort, i.e. if it all goes horribly wrong, you can always buy a new chassis afterwards.

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

To me to holes you drilled in the stand look far worse than the scuffs. :eek:

5. chromedome45, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2014

chromedome45 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't drill the holes. I got it that way. A school system in south Florida did that to prevent theft. Instead of using a Kensington lock.
    I guess they felt is was more secure.

Yeah undo the screw and walk away with it!!! Not that secure IMO. The recycler I got the iMac from says they are all like that. :(

But he said he will keep an eye out for one in better shape but will still have the holes.

I do see empty cases on eBay for 40-60 dollars. I could just see myself gutting the system and then trying to remember where everything went to but in newer case! My memory is not what it used to be.

BTW it is a Mid 2010 iMac Core i3

6. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Gap in the market for precision cut strips that you can stick on the housing, bit like those palm protectors for the Air and MBP.....

7. chromedome45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow now those look cool! Will have to order a set. Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. MrGimper & Nismo73 :D

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's not *that* hard to do a housing swap, but it's quite time consuming. There's a lot of cables that need routing correctly, which is probably the trickiest part.

On a 2010 i3, it's probably not worth it financially.

9. chromedome45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed I do not want to put to much money into it. Not worth it for a nearly 5 year old computer.

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

How much did you pay for it? Do you have pictures of the mac with the strips?

11. chromedome45 thread starter macrumors newbie

If you mean the iMac I paid 350.00. I haven't ordered the iCarbon yet for it.
    so no strips in place. I am hoping the place I got it from will get in some better looking i3's and replace mine. That's why I am waiting to order the strips.