Fixing the icons?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Michael Goff, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Alright, so I went and downloaded a new icon set.

It looks awesome in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there. I tried loading the iContainer with CandyBar and then LiteIcon.

Only, it wouldn't load everything from it for LiteIcon.

I then decided to manually change it to the new picture.

Now it just looks like a sheet of paper with the letters .icns on it. No icon for iTunes or for the calculator.

Is there anything I can do to actually give it the icon back? Because nothing seems to be working.

2. Lukeit macrumors regular

command + i click on the "unresponsive" application icon.

On the info panel that opens, click once on the icon in the upper left corner then hit command + X.

the original icon should be restored.

3. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Thanks.

Why would that have happened in the first place?

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Or hit the backspace key.

You can try Img2icns to "convert" your icon into a new one which will probably work fine.

5. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Never heard of Img2icns.

What specifically does it do? Because if it's about changing the file type to icns, I already have all of them as icns, png, and even iContainers.

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

When this happens, I have always solved it by using Img2icns, so I suggest you give it a try.

Drag your icon to the Img2icns little window, then choose "icns" to get a "new" icon.

I would say that Img2icns "blesses" your icon and makes it usable.

7. Michael Goff thread starter macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Why can't it just be simple to change these things?

You'd think something this small would be as simple as copying and pasting the .icns file.

8. Bruno09, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You normally do not need this : just drag your .icns on the old icon in the "infos" windows, and done.

But, when this does not work for any reason, try Img2icns.

(for example, you can have the problem when then .icns file came by mail, or through file transfer (Skype...): in that case, use Img2icns and the problem will be solved).

Say your .icns file is somewhere corrupt, and Img2icns will repair it.

9. 3282868 macrumors 603

Mac Apps are bundles, inside the Resources folder of the app bundle is the .icns file. Cut and Pasting a new "image" via the Info window sometimes does not work depending on how the app is bundled.

For example, I always custom change systems apps. The only method that works is to drill down to the resources folder and replace the .icns file (make sure the file has the exact name, ex. archive utility has a "bah.icns" file, make certain the new icon file has that name).

Third party apps such as "CandyBar" (which has been free for a while), are automated utilities that change app icons for a myriad of apps. Img2icns doesn't "bless" an icon image, it merely allows the user to create the proper .icns image for the application. However, this doesn't always work depending on the application.

Read on the differences between .icns, .png and .tiff files; they are used in various ways throughout OS X. Additionally, system icons need to follow set sizes (ex. Finder sidebar icons need to come in sizes to match small/med/large and retina displays). It's a bit more complicated than one may believe but once understood it's very simple. The easiest fix as someone suggested is to "cut" the app icon in the upper left corner of the "Info" window which should bring back the default icon.

Hope this helps.

10. Bruno09, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You didn't understand what I meant by Img2icns "blesses" an icon image.

If you are interested in, I can send you an Apple .icns for iTunes by mail or file transfer : although it is an actual .icns file, it will not work, and give you a sheet of paper with the letters .icns on it.

Then, you will drop that same icon into the Img2icns window and "convert" to .icns.

And..... this "new" icon will work.

I have tested this many times successfully, that's why I suggested Michael Goff to give it a try.

11. 3282868 macrumors 603

Simply because it is an icns file does not guarantee anything. It still needs to follow set parameters; size, pixels, etc. It may be an icns format file but it isn't "blessed", it will have been modified. I use Img2Icns, as well as Adobe AI, ID, PS, Icon Slate and a few other professional and casual icon/image applications. :)

It's a nifty little app, it gets the job done, no matter how :)

12. Bruno09, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I agree, and it is exactly the reason why I suggested to use Img2icns. :)

But not only (please pardon my terrible English).

See this icon ?
    http://www.veryicon.com/icons/media/itunes/apple-headphones.html

If you download it (.icns) and use it for iTunes, it will work for you.

BUT : if I send this very same icon by mail or by Skype to a friend of mine (living in Portugal and getting Internet via 3G, I coach him on Mac via Skype screen sharing), he will get it, and be able to open it with say, Preview.

However, if he tries to use it for iTunes, he will always get a white sheet of paper with ".icns".

Same problem if he downloaded the icon from his computer.

So, I told him : "ok, download Img2icns, drop the .icns into it, choose .icns".

And then, the "new" icon works.

We had the same problem with many other icons (.icns files at the right size) : the icons which worked for me did not work for him, and we always fixed the problem the same way.

13. 3282868 macrumors 603

Your English is excellent, better than most Americans ;)

It's a crapshoot. Sometimes programs "reformat" the file via compression standards when sending via mail or IM.