Fixing the Pins in the Sim Card Slot

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applefool, Dec 8, 2009.

1. applefool macrumors member

applefool

I have an iPhone that is capable or reading the sim card, but the connectivity is just not all right. The majority of the time the sim card will be read and picked up, but the service bars are usually weak. The phone will work fine for a bit then drop service intermittently. I've looked at the pins inside the phone and they seem to be doing alright. I applied a little pressure to try to fix the connectivity, but after putting the phone back together the same problem persists.

Can you replace just the sim card slot on the motherboard?? Do you even have to take this step? Anyone know any tricks regarding this issue. This phone is perfect except for this. Would love to get it going properly.

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Are you sure it is a SIM card reader issue? I would be tempted to have a long hard look at the antenna and its contacts first.

3. DazBrowne macrumors member

Ye i agree check the antenna or maybe your just not in an area with good coverage?

4. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Surely if it was the SIM it would say SIM not inserted or SIM invalid rather than dropping your connection.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

There was an issue in the past with bad sims, so you could try to get your sim replaced. However, it's probably an antenna problem or just bad service on your area.

6. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

I had a problem with my iPhone the other day and it wouldnt go away. The phone thought there was no SIM card even though the SIM was working fine.

I had the SIM tested by O2 and it was working fine so booked an appointment with an Apple Genius and they replaced the handset there and then - the genius thought the SIM reader may have been faulty.

The Genius said that the easiest way of fixing the SIM reader was to just replace the handset which makes me think that it obviously isnt an easy or cost effective thing to do.

7. applefool thread starter macrumors member

applefool

where is the antenna at and what does it look like?? its not the sim card, i've troubleshot that.