Fixing the screen on an iBook G4

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AP_piano295, Jul 7, 2010.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I've had this iBook g4 for about 5 years now and it works great never any problems though over the years it has taken a beating (a couple of slips on the ice and a foot stomping :eek:). Which disconnected the screen from its hinge.

Since the battery had nearly run down to nothing over the years I never bothered to fix it. I simply leaned it up against a wall and used it as a little desktop. Well now I'm thinking about selling it and I believe it would be worth about twice as much if I can fix the screen. So I'm wondering if anyone has a clue how I might accomplish the task.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The screen just flops around now no way to close or even reposition it. Any idea what part I would need to fix this or what might have popped off?

Thanks for any help

2. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

I wouldn't put money into a computer that old and slow, unless it's a cheap fix

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Here's the part that you would need and here's the guide for installing it. It seems much too time consuming for how much you'll get for it.

4. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I opened up the display and unfortunately it looks like the part that is broken is the clutch hinge (which is actually snapped in two places) :eek:. It looks like this thing is going to be sold as is.

5. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

In case anyone is interested I put this machine up on craigs list as last night for $150.00 (as is means broken screen missing up arrow key and dead battery). And I've immediately gotten 3 responses.

Haha everyone wants an inexpensive mac no matter what shape it is in :)