fixing widows/orphans/rags in illustrator

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by nicrose, Apr 14, 2007.

1. nicrose macrumors member

is this possible in illustrator?? i can't find it in the help menu or internet.

nicrose

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You'll have to do them manually with some help from the Justification and Hyphenation settings in the Paragraph palette's options (top right little triangle).

Using Illustrator for page-layout and industrial level type-wrangling is using the wrong tool... InDesign and QuarkXpress are more suited to this kind of work.

3. nicrose thread starter macrumors member

thanks, blue velvet

i just decided to tighten the tracking on a paragraph with a widow. i really don't know how to use justification settings yet, and it (justification) scares me. i don't want those icky gaps between words. not that i even tried justification yet...:)

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's where word-spacing comes in i.e. as part of justification and hyphenation (H&Js).

Nice, even-coloured and balanced type is often a compromise between hyphenation and justification settings and also doing some underhanded but subtle work with soft returns, word-spacing, letter-spacing — and even horizontal-scaling of 99% as a last resort — to force paragraphs or stray widows and orphans back to a previous column or line. I've even asked people occasionally to alter a word here or there to fit copy into small spaces...

Things to avoid: changing the leading in specific places to fit copy, over-tight tracking.