Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eusebius

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
I hope this is the appropriate place to post this question.

I recently received a flac-formatted audio music file. It came along with a separate flac.cue file and a .cue file. I'm not certain what the .cue file is, but the flac.cue file lists all the tracking cues for the main flac file. I tried using Toast 7 to burn the flac file together with the flac.cue file, but Toast recognizes only the flac file, not the flac.cue file (it asks for the associated .bin file. There is no .bin file.) If I burn only the .flac file, then I'll end up with a 60 minute CD with no tracking cues. Is there any way to incorporate the flac.cue file into the CD so that I can see the tracks listed when I insert the CD into a player?

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
If you have VLC Player on your computer you could try opening the .cue file with that, as thats what they are normall opened by, and see what it does

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I have exactly the same problem... a single long FLAC file and a cue file, no bin. I can convert the FLAC to any other format no problem, but I need to split it up into individual tracks and can't seem to find a way to do this. Toast demands a bin to accompany any cue and I can't see to find anything else that will take the cue and do something useful.

EDIT: I found something that can do this, called X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X. Seems to work perfectly.

markmacintosh

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2009
split flac file using cue

hi everybody,

I have he same problem, a large flac file with a cue file that I want to split into separate songs..
when downloading xld I just get a Unix file which the program Terminal opens just into a large text file.. I tried everything, I'm not able to install XLD.. and I did't find any other program which can split the flac file using the cue file (I could of course split the file manually, but I'm looking for a way to use the cue file)..
anybody can help ?

macffooky

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
The 51st State
In Firefox, download the top option, "xld-gui-20080914.tbz (GUI version)" by simply left clicking on it and then double click what is downloaded. With Safari you need to right click and select "Download linked file".

Once downloaded, make sure you check for updates manually and set it to check automatically in the preferences.

Trystero

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2010
Thank you very much for the suggestion of this software!
I did not know it and I worked with Xact (but it is necessary to edit the cue file).

I just downloades and installed the GUI VERSION of X Lossless Decoder, and it works perfectly. I opened the .cue file and the program shows immediately all the different tracks enclosed in the flac file. Then I opened the preferences and I choose to split the file into separate FLAC files (but there are other formats). Very easy.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

.jSBer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks a LOT for the X Lossless Decoder tip. Ever since I switched to mac I used EAC in Parallels but after 5 years I wanted to get rid of Parallels. Unfortunately I still couldn't find a good alternative but X Lossless Decoder works great! Thanks again!

that057guy

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I found a great solution

MAX for Mac. File>Open>.cue file>select files to convert (select all button)>convert. Works like a dream.

Sláinte,
that057guy

coops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Thanks for this... i've been using Medieval Cue Splitter on my WinXP virtual machine, it's free and works fine... didn't realise XLD did this, doh!

XLD is excellent. Odd interface, as you have to setup the output format and location form preferences before you select any files.... but is very, very fast.

I keep my music in FLAC for my home Sonos system, and convert all to mp3 VBR for laptop/ipod etc using XLD - uses both processor cores so converts 2 tracks at same time, very impressive.

Coops

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
thanx for the tip about MAX. XLD is great for converting individual flac files to aac but it always ruins the cue splits

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
I have exactly the same problem... a single long FLAC file and a cue file, no bin. I can convert the FLAC to any other format no problem, but I need to split it up into individual tracks and can't seem to find a way to do this. Toast demands a bin to accompany any cue and I can't see to find anything else that will take the cue and do something useful.

EDIT: I found something that can do this, called X Lossless Decoder: Lossless audio decoder for Mac OS X. Seems to work perfectly.

Wow a post from 2007!
But thanks man. Helped me greatly. Had MAX already but that doesn't split cue / flac files that are joined together. XLD worked great! Might get rid of MAX now.

Thanks again.

HeadshotSK

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Welcome to the thread that just won't die LOL!

So reinstalled a new version of this XLC which always worked great for me. My TB storage is as big as the moon in my MP so
I prefer big fat WAV files anyway as an audiophile.

Decided to try it again. I know it's not one Flac to split, but I always wondered why XLC could produce flawless files, but then when imported into iTunes, I lost the Album & Artist titles...? I'm sure it's Windows & Mac files not playing nice as usual.

Also this is totally baffling to me.
Why on earth is the WAV almost 75% larger after it's converted from FLAC!?

I mean I'm all for highest quality but how did this turn into such a massive bunch of files?

Just for fun, I love to see what happens when a psycho-audiophile nut attempts a Vinyl rip. Especially from the glory days of the mid-70's.
I love to hear the comparisons from the CD master. Clean, yes, but that analog vinyl.
I'm going to post the .info file text below with a screenshot of the window of files after XLD got ahold of it.

Technical Informations

Hannl"limited" Record Cleaning Machine with Rotating Brush
Music Hall MMF 9.1 Turntable
Tonearm Pro-Ject 9cc Evo with Pure Silver Wires
Nagaoka MP-500
Brocksieper Phonomax (Tube Phono-PreAmp)
E-MU 0404 external USB 2.0 Audiointerface
Silent Wire NF 5
Wavelab 6.1 recording software
iZotope RX Advanced 2.0

Vacuum Cleaning > TT > Brocksieper Phonomax > Laptop > Wavelab 6.1 (24/192) > manual click removal
analyze (no clipping, no DC Bias offset) > split into individual Tracks
> resampling and dither to 24/96 with iZotope RX Advanced > FLAC encoded (Vers. 1.21)

No silence been removed, please burn gapless to match original tracklayout.

Check-out our (Dr. Robert & aksman) new blog: http://hiresmusic.wordpress.com

You can contact me via facebook under "aksman.vinyl"

Supprt us by purchasing a premium acccount (http://www.filesonic.com/referral/1773283)!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 8.38.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 8.38.33 PM.png
    147.4 KB · Views: 266
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.