Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waynec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
I have transferred all of my cd collection to the flac format and stored it onto my external harddisc which equates to around 900gb of music, I would like to import this into itunes but as we all know itunes doesn't as yet support FLAC!!, this is a real pain as I dont have the time or room to convert all my flac files to AIFF or similar, please could anyone suggest a program which can imprt flac into itunes?, tried Fluke and it imports flacs as quicktime but it doesnt import track numbers so all songs end up being mixed up so pretty pointless.

I use Sonic Studio Amarra via itunes but would love to be able to play my Flac collection

any hope itunes will natively support flac at some point

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Why is this so hard to understand?

iTunes was never intended to play flac, hence why the hacked together methods are sorely lacking. Maybe that will improve over time, but probably not since ALAC is just as good and integrates perfectly with iTunes.

I dont have the time or room to convert all my flac files to AIFF or similar

Don't use AIFF, it's uncompressed. ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) is compressed, and will use the same amount of space as FLAC.

To reiterate:
1) Use iTunes with ALAC
2) Find another player.

blackreplica

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Use a program like Max to convert your flac files to alac. It's really easy. I have about 100gb of flac which i converted for itunes.

Queue the whole 900gb at one go and leave Max to convert it overnight (or more than just one night probably, in your case).

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Use a program like Max to convert your flac files to alac. It's really easy. I have about 100gb of flac which i converted for itunes.

Queue the whole 900gb at one go and leave Max to convert it overnight (or more than just one night probably, in your case).

I have downloaded Max but i do not see alac as an option in the output formats

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.