Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Hey so I have some FLAC music files I want to convert to AAC and/or MP3 to import and play in iTunes. Anyone have any good suggestions? I don't mind paying a bit of money for it as long as it works well. I looked on the Mac App Store and found something called FLACTunes. Anyone here ever used it? Seems to have overall good reviews. I just want something simple that I can convert multiple files at once so I can drag and drop a whole album and let it do it's thing. Thanks for any help.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
X Lossless Decoder is free and converts to and from many formats. I find its interface a little bit odd, you may want to experiment a bit before you start any major conversions.

A.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I use Permute. It's $9.99 and has a trial that works in full. You can just drag everything all at once if you end up liking it. It'll even put stuff in iTunes automatically if you want.

http://software.charliemonroe.net/permute/

Seems good. It's on the App Store for $13.99 Canadian. If I download the free trial from their website but later buy from the App Store would that be a weird way to do it?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
No, you should be fine as it’s the same build as the one in the MAS.

Hmm okay. Permute seems to do more than just audio conversion. But I'll check it out.

EDIT: During the trial I can only convert ten files before I have to buy it.

Last edited:

kimtrang

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016
X Lossless Decoder is free and converts to and from many formats. I find its interface a little bit odd, you may want to experiment a bit before you start any major conversions.

A.

I've been using XLD for years to convert FLAC to ALAC. Never had any problems with it. It will separate the tracks of single .flac file of an album, if you open the .cue file. I only mention this because it took me ages to work out.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder

Download here

http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012

A.
This and only this.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Is this App easy to use? Straight forward interface?
Yes. Once you get it set up initially, it's just a matter of dragging and dropping your music to the icon and it begins batch converting all your music to your preferred format from that point on.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Yes. Once you get it set up initially, it's just a matter of dragging and dropping your music to the icon and it begins batch converting all your music to your preferred format from that point on.

What settings would you suggest to turn FLAC to AAC at 256kbps?

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Just been using XLD after reading this thread. I concur it is a superb program and have just converted my entire Fela Kuti Collection of over 10gb FLAC files in to Apple Lossless (.m4a) in a matter of minutes. I have now dragged them all in to iTunes one of the fastest and easiest conversion tools i've ever used and it's FREE!! I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
Reactions: \-V-/

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Just been using XLD after reading this thread. I concur it is a superb program and have just converted my entire Fela Kuti Collection of over 10gb FLAC files in to Apple Lossless (.m4a) in a matter of minutes. I have now dragged them all in to iTunes one of the fastest and easiest conversion tools i've ever used and it's FREE!! I highly recommend it.

What settings would you recommend using? Is it preferred to keep files in Apple Lossless or AAC 256kbps?

ravinder08

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
What settings would you recommend using? Is it preferred to keep files in Apple Lossless or AAC 256kbps?

Use Apple lossless. The file sizes are slightly smaller than AIFF and WAV which is always a good thing, and no data is thrown away during compression.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Use Apple lossless. The file sizes are slightly smaller than AIFF and WAV which is always a good thing, and no data is thrown away during compression.

Yeah I thought of importing all my CDs in Apple Lossless but that takes up a lot of space. Plus if I stream my music through my Apple TV to my surround system than it likely downgrades the file anyway.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Airplay uses Apple's lossless codec, so no. The Apple TV does use 48-bit output, so it is not perfect. Just close.

A.

Oh okay. I didn't know that. Anyways I just want something simple to drag and drop flac files to convert them to lossless or AAC 256k.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.