Flac files and Perian

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Can someone tell me why or what a FLAC audio file is. OK, I know it's a high quaity audio format, but Perian which I recently downloaded thanks to your advice here, has been used to view AVI files, yet when I clicked on a FLAC file which is an audio file it brings up a box which says..

'You are opening the application "Perian - Open in QT Player" for the first time. Are you sure you want to open this application?'
    This application is in a folder named "Resources". etc...

I'm guessing the audio file can be played by Perian, but why is it now asking permissions to use it for playing audio when it's never asked for permissions to view AVI footage in QT before? Something I should know or...?

2. tug macrumors 6502

3. Rowf macrumors regular

If you're not too bothered about the audio quality just convert as recommended
    by 'tug'

If you want to learn more about FLAC go here:
    http://flac.sourceforge.net/index.html

I use FLAC rather than mp3 most of the time but it depends on what you want, I've got a Cowon S9 that supports FLAC playback so I tend to use that over my ipod, sound quality and all that.
    If you want FLAC playback on the mac there are a few players to choose from, I use Phile Audio to rip and Fidelia to playback both off the App store but there are some free players about.
    Unless you're planning to invest in some decent quality speakers and maybe a DAC it's not really worth bothering with FLAC, just convert.

I don't know why the message comes up but so I've just stuck to the FLAC question :)

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks guys, It's very rare that I get sent FLAC and not MP3, If I was going through some top notch speakers I may notice the difference, but the speakers on the MBP, it's not an issue, and when I try to put on a CD, the Flac I've been sent preciously is usually too large anyway.

But, I think convert is the answer, so thank you both