Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
I am trying to convert my entire library collection of FLAC files to ALAC for long term storage and to MP3 (320 kbps) for my iPod. It worked for my entire library except for one album. I cannot get these files to convert using Max or XLD. The files themselves open and play just fine in VLC, but obviously nothing else.

Any ideas to get these files converted?

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
OK the file is screwed up. Can you play it with anything? Then loop audio in to audio out and record as you play the file. Yes means going through a short analog step

Like I said, I can play the files just fine in VLC, but I am running a MBP 13 so one one audio jack.

Try aiff. Or since it's just an album you can re-rip it

I tried everything, even converting them flac to flac to try to fix the error. Nothing works, XLD and Max just write the container with no contents. :( Reripping the album is not an option, sadly.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Like I said, I can play the files just fine in VLC, but I am running a MBP 13 so one one audio jack.

Don't use a physical cable. Use software to recapture the sound. SoryI can't think of the names now but "audio hijack pro" come to mind. If you can play the file you can also re-capture it.

I think (not sure) this uses the audio mixer if so the quality is good

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2008
Don't use a physical cable. Use software to recapture the sound. SoryI can't think of the names now but "audio hijack pro" come to mind. If you can play the file you can also re-capture it.

I think (not sure) this uses the audio mixer if so the quality is good

Found the program you mentioned, it is hijacking the stream as I type. Thanks for the tip. Though less convenient that just converting, this seems like it will work just fine.

:D

EDIT: It worked perfectly! The files sound fantastic! Thanks so much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.