Flac files won't allow me to change info in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bki122689, Jul 23, 2010.

1. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

I have an uncompressed FLAC audio file that I want to add album art and lyrics to in iTunes. But when I go to get info, the album art and lyrics tab is gray and it won't let me click on it. I then tried to change the genre of the audio file. When I change it and then replay the song, the genre changes to it's original setting?

How do I change this?
    I'm using a mac.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

FLAC files support embedded album art natively, for example when files are encoded using Max. However, I doubt whether iTunes or the Finder will be able to add or edit the album art afterwards. I'm also not sure if iTunes will be able to see it even if it's there, because it has to use Fluke or similar to be able to play it (iTunes doesn't natively play FLAC files and needs a plugin like Fluke).

If you need to have the file as a FLAC and have the original source file, you could try re-encoding it with Max and embedding the album art, and then see if iTunes can see the album art.

Alternatively, use Max to convert the FLAC to Apple Lossless and then iTunes will play it natively and you'll be able to add album art and lyrics inside iTunes.

4. bki122689 thread starter macrumors 6502

bki122689

ahh got it.

thanks for the help

I still loose some quality when I convert from flac to apple lossless, but it's still 700 kbps compared to flac's 900 kbps.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No, it's lossless. There's no quality loss assuming that your FLAC decoder is accurate.

6. dhd macrumors member

dhd

If you want to get your FLAC files into itunes I've found that if you make an audio cd image with Toast (I guess it will work the same with Burn) tagging correctly the album title and artist and you mount it, itunes will think it's the real cd and will fetch all the info from the CDDB, so you only have to select the option to import as apple lossless and presto!, you get lossless audio with all the tags and artwork. Once you're done you can delete the original flac files.