FLAC players

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigalow, May 26, 2013.

1. bigalow macrumors member

Hi everyone -

I know this has been discussed several times but I am still not 100% satisfied with any player I have tried so I am back here looking for suggestions that perhaps I'm not currently aware of.

Currently I pretty much use Vox. The latest release (beta) is nice but my only complaint about the program is that is lacks the ability to organize my flac library.

One program that seems to organize a library fairly well is Clementine. The complaint I have about Clementine is that it does not support gapless playback.

Is anyone aware of a flac playback app that supports flac libraries and also supports gapless playback?

Thanks

2. dakwar macrumors 6502

Why not use XLD to convert your flac files to apple lossless, then use iTunes. XLD is a great program.

3. cvs macrumors member

cvs

I do all that with Songbird.
    It updates regularly, free, with many add-ons, for lyrics, etc.

4. bigalow thread starter macrumors member

I already use XLD and yes, it is a great app. TBH, I have little interest in using ALAC files.

1) ALAC files are larger than the original FLAC files

2) I don't honestly care for iTunes.

3) No one I know uses the ALAC format.

I would prefer to keep my files in a format that is commonly used. Occasionally I trade hard drives with friends so having ALACs really isn't really the route I want to take. Proprietary formats are kinda dumb IMO - but that's besides the point.

Haven't checked out Songbird yet. Any other alternatives that anyone suggests checking out?

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Quick correction: ALAC is not proprietary but is also open source.;)

6. bigalow thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the correction - I didn't realize that changed about a year and a half ago. either way, that doesn't change the fact that it is a inconvenient format for my situation.