FLAC. Quicktime. Who's with me?

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Quicktime desperately needs a FLAC component.

There isn't one, and we need one. Apple Lossless is wonderful and all that, but FLAC has a wide amount of 3rd-party support, and the lack of FLAC compatibility in Quicktime is a serious drawback for me, as I'm sure it is for a lot of people.

So who's with me? Someone please enFLACify Quicktime post-haste!!!

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
Yeah, QT desperately needs a FLAC codec, and iTunes desperately needs to make use of that FLAC codec and offer playback and tag support for the format. Same with OGG. I can see why Apple doesn't support all the wacky music file formats that are out there (including Monkey's Audio, which really isn't all that wacky), but it seems to me that these are the two major open-source formats and they have a wide and devoted user base, and therefore they should be compatible with QT and iTunes.

Unfortunately, I can't code, so all I can do is cheer on potential developers.

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Yeah I've seen that plugin before, but from what I can gather it

a) didn't work well to begin with
b) was broken by Quicktime 7, and
c) is PowerPC only in any event...

What's needed is a working component with an active community around it to weed out any bugs...

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
What I don't get is why this is so hard.

There must be enough interest as it keeps coming up. Shouldn't it basically be a simple wrapper around libflac?

B

mustgroove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Thanks for the link, but still it isn't full FLAC support, which is what's needed.