flac to itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frazer19, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Frazer19 macrumors member

Frazer19

Hi guys , I just downloaded every album from The Beatles in .flac files, but iTunes does not let you sync these to your iPod/iPhone. I don't want to convert them to mp3 cause the quality goes abit ****ter, does anyone know if it's possible to burn them on cd and put it through iTunes like any normal cd? Cheers for any help/suggestions.

2. sp1keNARF macrumors newbie

3. adztaylor macrumors 68000

XLD is a good program to convert them to Apple lossless.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

instead of using another program just change the import settings on iTunes to either apple lossless, AIFF or WAV and then select the songs you want to change to the new format by right clicking: " Create XXX version"

5. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

iTunes can't import FLAC files.

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You should've bought the albums from iTunes itself.

That way, you wouldn't have experienced this problem.

Hope I helped

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Yes, that would have been a good idea. Much better than downloading them illegally from someone who uploaded the files from his Beatles USB apple.

And yes, I am the copyright police. :D

8. musefreek macrumors member

i recently downloaded an album of flac files and used MAX to convert to aiff, but itunes won't actually add these to the library. anyone have any advice? i also tried converting to wavpack but itunes would have none of it.

help!

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Obviously you don't understand the advantage of flac (uncompressed) and m4v/m4a/ whatever compressed format iTunes downloads in. Uncompressed flac:1141 kb/s. iTunes: 256 kb/s.

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

And for the OP: try .aiff first, and if that doesnt work try .WAV. Both are supported by Apple, but for some reason I have difficulty adding album artwork to WAV files. In terms of sound quality both are the same.

11. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

OP, yes you can burn them to a CD and then have iTunes rip them from a CD and copy into iTunes library.
    As you already know, iTunes cannot covert directly from flacc. So you'll either need a conversion utility and convert them before importing into iTune, or a utility that will burn them into a CD audio and then rip them via iTunes.

As mentioned above, I'd try the aiff format first. But you're right, flacc is much better lossless than .mp3.

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Wow. This must mean that since my neighbor's Camaro outperforms my Honda, it's okay for me to go steal his car. Thanks for posting this!

:rolleyes:

13. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Ok, I have to ask this. By what logic did you use to to equate the comparison of music format compression routines to that of theft of your neighbors car?

14. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

And I have to ask this. Did you read the whole thread?

The post I responded to quoted someone who I took to be talking morality, not compression. The fact that FLAC may be better does not obscure the fact that there is no place to legitimately buy Beatles FLAC, which is what the poster was reacting to, albeit in a smarmy way. Off-topic, maybe, but a valid point nonetheless.

Another question might be, who cares about FLAC when a lot of the Beatles stuff was recorded 45 years ago, some of it in mono, no less?

15. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Second XLD. it will convert, maintain all tagging information, and can even import it into itunes for you.

16. M87 macrumors 65816

I would use a program called Max to convert them to apple lossless.

17. calvy macrumors 65816

Maybe the OP owned the CD's years ago, ripped them all to his PC and encoded them to flac, and now wants to import them into iTunes.

18. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Certainly a possibility... but for the fact that he said he downloaded them. ;)

19. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

On my mac i use a program called MAX that i use for .flac files and one a PC i use winamp as it seems to work well for me then i covert all the files into the apple lossless version of all the songs as I was to keep the quailty of the music

20. calvy macrumors 65816

lol, good point.

21. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

That's exactly what I did with the FLAC files from the The Beatles Remastered Stereo USB apple I bought when Apple Corp. released it. Used MAX to convert to 24 Bit AIFF. They sound great. Just keep in mind that the files are HUGE. Dear Prudence for example is almost 60MB. You'll definitely want to check the "Convert higher bitrate songs to 128 kbps AAC" if you are going to synch them to your iPhone/iPod/iPad, You can play the AIFF files on those devices, but you'll fill them up in a hurry if you don't downsample them. There's no point in putting 24bit files on those devices anyway, since they can't output in 24 bit.

22. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

23. ZenErik macrumors 6502

XLD is the way to go. I understand your desire for lossless audio although I buy almost all of my music and rip it. Just convert from FLAC to ALAC (Apple Lossless) to avoid lossy compression. :)