FLAC to iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PShot07, Aug 26, 2007.

1. PShot07 macrumors member

I've tried searching for this, and everything I have found is extremely confusing. I use to have a Toshiba PC laptop, and I would always import my CDs using FLAC. Well, I have two CDs on it's hard drive that I would like to put onto my iPod. Problem 1, I can't find the original CDs. Problem 2, I don't know how to convert my FLAC files to 192kbps AAC.

So, basically what I am asking is this. How to I convert my FLAC files to AAC so I can listen to them on my iPod? Oh, and why doesn't Apple support FLAC?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. markiv810 macrumors regular

You can use Cog to play flac files on mac. It's free, you can get more info about Cog here . You can also use FLACer for converting flac songs to wav, cdda or aiff format (that would be helpful in case you don't want to lose on the bitrates).

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

Max

I use MAX. I haven't found anything better yet. I convert FLAC to mp3 or aac or Apple Lossless, depending on the original qualty of the material. I usually use it to convert bootleg live concerts. It even allows you to input the metadata/MP3 id-tags. It is also able to take advantage of the duo chips.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use Max as suggested above to convert FLAC to Apple Lossless and then you don't have to worry about losing quality.

Max wins my most useful Mac application award :).

5. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Max is very, very good. But X Lossless Decoder (XLD) is even better, IMHO.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

The Apple Lossless output from XLD works better with iTunes, I find. Max's Apple Lossless bitrates can sometimes go "unknown" in iTunes.

That said, I would love to have FLAC support in iTunes. I really wish Apple would implement it, or some third-party dev could devise a hack.

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Personally I have never had an unknown bitrate from Max Apple Lossless files. What version are you using?

7. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I'm using 0.7.1, but the "unknown" bitrate for Apple Lossless started appearing in a much earlier version. I switched to XLD at the time for that reason and haven't used Max for Apple Lossless conversion since (though I have used it for MP3). If you're not having any problems, Cromulent, then sorry to mislead the OP, since it looks like the bug was squashed in a later release.

8. PShot07 thread starter macrumors member

Sweet guys thanks! That MAX program works like a charm!

Why do I love MacRumors? This is a perfect example.

9. Stigmata macrumors newbie

Sorry for upping an old thread, but I have a question.
    Does XLD work if I drop an entire folder into the program instead of single files?

That would be a 1-click solution for me...

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Not a folder but if you choose all the files inside a folder you can drag and drop it onto XLD…

11. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Yes, Stigmata, I'm pretty sure you can do drag-and-drop with folders using XLD. In another thread, someone mentioned that XLD conks out if there are too many files in the batch. I've done about fifty at once and it's worked smoothly.

EDIT: Okay, arkitect says you can't do folders. I haven't used the latest version of XLD yet, so maybe they're supported. If not, you could always send the developer a request to implement it.

12. Stigmata macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies.
    The fact is that I have about 50 albums in FLAC format, and now that I've switched to macosx I'd like to convert them in apple lossless, for using with appletv and ipod.

I'll try with the drag and drop, and see what happens. Cross fingers for me :D

13. Stigmata macrumors newbie

I can confirm that XLD doesn't support folder drag&drop.
    I solved my problem with the latest (unstable) Max release, no problems at all.