Flac To Wav To Alac In Itunes?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LEGALROMA, Mar 9, 2009.

1. LEGALROMA macrumors member

Need your help.

Had a Flac collection of tunes. Could not import to itunes so converted to wav.

Went to settings preferences in windows and only option to import was for "cd", so i changed it to encode to alac, as it takes up to 30% less space.
    Where are the advanced settings for import?

Anyway, imported and all songs came through as wav, with no conversion.

I have read there is an advanced tab with import settings.....doesnt exist.

What can I do here?

2. Lunchbox16 macrumors member

Importing files into iTunes does not mean they are automatically encoded to whatever file format is the default in your preferences. That would make little sense because files would be transcoded when 99.9% of the time people don't want the program to do that. Therefore you must initiate the encoding process. What I would recommend is this: import all of your WAV files to iTunes. Just drag and drop them. Create a playlist for items added that day. (If you want to be sure that you have all WAV files, press control-J and select "Kind." That way you don't end up transcoding an mp3 or anything.) Go to your preferences and make sure it's set for the desired file format. Personally, I would do a trial run first - select one song, right click, select convert, and after conversion make sure everything is how it should be. If it is, just select everything in the playlist and repeat the conversion step. It's pretty simple.

Note: The right clicked menu might say convert to mp3 - but the actual text there shouldn't matter if you've set your encoding preferences. It should make lossless files. I can't confirm this because I don't use Apple's lossless format. I stick to FLAC and Cog. Someone else can correct me here if I'm wrong.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. rWally macrumors regular

XLD will do this all in one step. FLAC>ALAC. Best option for ripping CDs as well. Give it a try.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/index_e.html

Oops. Saw you're using windows. Maybe EAC is an option in Windows?

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Are you trying to do this on a Windows PC? If so not many people here would know anything abot Windows. But if iTunes works the same as it does under Mac OS X then if you set XX as the input format and then select a bunch of tracks in iTunes and right click on the selection one of the options is to "Convert Selection to XX". You set XX to be whatever you lke "Apple lossless, MP3 or whatever and you do this in the place where you specify how CDs are to be ripped.

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Are you sure that they didn't import as Apple Lossless? Maybe you were just looking at the wrong files? (I've done that once or twice...)

It sounds like you found the correct place to change your import settings, but just in case:

Edit->Preferences->"General" Tab->"Import Settings..." Button

Once you've changed the settings, you should be able to highlight the WAV files in iTunes, right click and select "Create Apple Lossless Version".