Flag emails with exchange broken in iOS8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by yalag, Oct 27, 2014.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Just bought two ipads and have to setup email from scratch.

I have email with exchange (google apps). All the emails downloaded correctly (set to sync with no limit) but none of the flags carried over. I think maybe only 1 out of 30.

I deleted the account and redownloaded everything again. Same thing.

Tried this on iphones and ipads. Same thing.

Latest version of iOS8.

Fixes?

2. indefinitekarma macrumors member

Use the Gmail app. I use multiple Google Apps accounts and their tagging interface in the backend (coding) is messy. Just use the Gmail app its way better.

3. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

No I will not use crap. I bought exchange services for a reason, so I can use a real client.

4. indefinitekarma macrumors member

Google Apps over Exchange = crap so it looks like you bought crap.

Switch to Microsoft Outlook/365/whatever their thing is called.

5. campyguy macrumors 68040

I'm a former Google Apps subscriber. Google never, ever, provided "Exchange" or "Exchange ActiveSync" services to their customers. I know that it was called "Exchange" - but it wasn't EAS, rather Google's own implementation of EAS. Search Wikipedia or Google's own support pages - I'm correct.

I switched to Office 365 when Google's support tiers changed.

Read this Google Blog post: https://support.google.com/a/answer/2716936?hl=en

Regardless of what they called it, the sync service has always been "Google Sync". Your account determines the level of service you'll receive, per device.

I parted with Google Apps after reading the long list of "incompatible" features and "bugs" - one of which was flags. Google it - you'll find I'm correct. So many of the "bugs" from early 2013 are still unresolved in non-native apps. I moved myself and my small company on.

Use Google Sync - that's what you're paying for.

6. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean? I AM using google sync. Which according to their instruction, is setup as a exchange account.

Are you just saying that their google sync is buggy and flags don't work? Because it used to work.

Instead, if I set it up as IMAP, will I get push?

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

Read the linked-to Google blog post - that's why I posted it. You've not read that web page - or you don't get it. Google's support doesn't indicate setting up devices as "Exchange" any longer - they stopped doing that about 2 years ago, read their support documentation. That web page indicates any new devices are to be set up using "Google Sync" - a new device includes a device with a new operating system, like iOS 8 - if it worked under iOS 7 and you updated to iOS 8 then you have a new "device" under Google's description, and setting up a device using "Exchange" will no longer work - all old news, and described on that and other Google Apps support documentation.

I'm not "saying" anything about Google's services - I paid for them for 6 years. Google used to direct its subscribers to "Exchange" for iPhones because there wasn't a "Google" option until iOS 7. Google used to license EAS from MS, and created their own implementation - all of this is documented in their own settings over the past 4-5 years.

"Exchange" IMAPI has been a moving target for several years now and didn't get finalized until "Exchange 2013" - again, all documented. Google cut ties with MS's standards some time ago (read that linked blog page).

If you'd read those instructions on that web page, you'd be setting up you iOS devices as "Google" and let your iOS devices auto-detect what your account settings are. What I am saying is that Google Sync was and is not "Exchange" - and you should not expect EAS performance from Google, regardless of what you believe or think. Google Sync was never, and is not EAS.

I can't advise you further regarding your account set up - that's what your IT staff is for. Or, just call Google - if you have paid for Google Apps, then you have support built in to your account. Google provides support documentation regarding what works and what doesn't, across platforms. I've been using iOS since 2008 - what Google supports seems to change from year to year, and that's why I switched to Office 365 and Exchange Server. I can't tell you what Google is supporting this year - that's what your support package is for.

I used to subscribe to Google Apps. I no longer subscribe to Google Apps.

8. irnchriz, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2014

irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Move to office 365 if you want proper exchange not just active sync.