Flakey! Can Apple Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael73, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

For almost 4 years I've had Yahoo! DSL through my telephone provider SBC. When I first signed up with them I got a Speadstream 5100 DSL modem. I swear the modem is flakey. Inextricably it will drop the signal but is just fine when I turn off the power and start it again. I should also say, I got this long before I was Mac convert.

Fast forward 4 years and I have a Mac Pro with Bluetooth + Airport card and an Airport Express. Currently, my phone line goes from my wall jack to the Speadstream modem that sits on the bookshelves behind my desk. From the modem the ethernet cord is plugged into the Airport Express that also sits behind my desk on the bookshelves.

Does Apple make an all-in-one product so that I can get rid of my modem and still have the functionality of the Airport Express? I do use the AE for wireless printing and for AirTunes.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unfortunately, Apple does not make all-in-one Cable/DSL modem/router/wireless access points. It would be nice if they did, though - I'd have a use for such a thing.

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

If this is the case, then can someone recommend a really good DSL modem and in the process tell me what makes one modem better than another?

On a related note...

We're like one of the last people in the country who have no cable or sattelite service - not because it doesn't exist in our area but just b/c it's not that important for us. For that matter we still have a Mitsubushi TV with rabbit ears from 1983 with one set of rear inputs so we have a switcher box for our VCR, DVD and Tivo. Did I mention that we have another set of rabbit ears so that the Tivo can get it's signal. It's all very elegant ;)

In any case, towards the end of this year we'll take the plunge and get a large screen tv, blue ray player etc. In the process I've been looking at the AT&T Uverse product that is available in our area. Does anyone know if we get this, whether we'll be getting a new modem anyway?

I'm thinking that if we've put up with this Speedstream for 4 years that a couple more months we could tolerate if we'll just be getting a new modem with the Uverse product.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Sounds to me like you need to call your service provider and tell them to send you a new DSL modem. It's their equipment, not yours so you shouldn't be the one to have to replace it.
    Or is it possible your ISP did require you to purchase the modem? I seem to remember that in the early days of DSL you had to purchase the equipment so maybe that's the case with you...

5. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure the equipment is mine. If I remember that far back, I think they ran a deal where you purchased it and then they credited the account for the cost of the modem and the first month of service was free. Again, we're talking about March or April 2004. A lot of things have changed with broadband since then...

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

OK so the modem is yours. You might still try calling tech support with your ISP. I doubt they still require new customers to purchase the DSL equipment, so they might be willing to hook you up with a new one to keep your business.
    Worth a try. If nothing else they should be able to recommend how to go about replacing your gear.