Flakey network shares iMac and G5's

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by blueboat, Aug 13, 2013.

1. blueboat macrumors newbie

Please help,

In an effort to resolve file ownership issues when sharing files , our tech gave all our lan Mac's the same account name and a password of " " (space bar).

With Cntrl K ,we can browse to shares on the iMac (from the G5's almost 50% of the time.

In fact if it doesn't connect I can always connect as guest every time.

I can also connect every time (using account name after if I use the (change remote password tab) ... found by accident.. changing the password to the same password.

I don't think its a physical network issue as guest works always.

I think its a authentication issue... I've tries using fixed I.P.'s and domain names, no help..

would appreciate any thoughts .

iMac 27" running 10.8.3
    G5 's running 10.7.5

2. MrPilot macrumors 6502

No mention of your network protocol.I know that SMB is dodgy on 10.8 maybe 10.7 too. Have you guys tried both AFP and SMB?

Secondly, I'd really like to know how you managed to put 10.7.5 on a G5 :D

3. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Mr Pilot for yr speedy reply,

Have SMB and AFP checked (also using winxp boxes) but have since unchecked AFP as I saw a post suggesting this to no avail.

As for 10.7.5 on a G5 I'll chase that up and advise.

Thanks again for yr help.

I was wanting him to have a qnap NAS .. wondering if you have a thought on that?

Thanks and regards

4. MrPilot macrumors 6502

You are welcome.

Here at my house I'm using the powerbook G4 running 10.5.8 with SMB sharing and my and 2 macbook pros running mountain lion 10.8.4 accessing it. No problems. please get back with correct info on the G5's OS. That was the one doing sharing (acting server) , right? Also there's a free SMB server app for lion and mountain lion. Don't know the name of it though

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You don't have PowerMac G5s if you are running 10.7.5.

You have MacPros.

I don't have any real suggestions other than to get a new tech guy. I can understand where he's going with how he set things up, but in a file sharing environment you really need server software. It's designed to handle multiple accounts and file access on one computer.

Also, I'd suggest changing the password. Even if you just make it "password" so that it's simple (assuming you stay set up this way and don't get server software). A simple space for a password may work, but just sounds wrong and likely to cause problems to me.

6. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

\

+1

OS X Server is only $20 in the app store. With that he can setup file shares and multi-user access. He can also start an open directory and bind all of the macs to it. Afterwards he can automatically mount the share on all of your macs without you having to log into the share each time you connect to it.

7. MrPilot macrumors 6502

does the mounting of the shared device happen before connecting to the network after a reboot for example? And also a shared directory or HD can be accessed without the need for mounting. Just create an alias or drag the folder/HD to the finder sidebar or desktop or even the dock.

And oh, I've heard good things about the NAS but imho I think OSX has great server capabilities (SMB/Apache/Samba), specially if you get OSX Server like previously suggested

8. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys,

I too suggested that a space bar (void) may give authentication issues , but changing it made no difference,.. they are mac pro's as suggested.. Thanks..

I think the server app sounds like the go , just wondering about resources and should we use a dedicated box .he has them everywhere... these guys are commercial artists and their power is always never enough.. (all are twin quad xenon's @ 3.4G)

I've noticed (by accident) these machines have http apache server running by default .. wow . I spar with my brother about Mac v's dos boxes, and I must say that I find the Mac's OS pretty impressive.

I had Linux set up on a dos box in the past but had issues (back then) using smb as the mac's had zero restrictions on file names ... / and \ slashes etc and punctuation marks ... and my brother managed to use them all :)

Thanks again for all yr help.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You want a dedicated Mac as the server. Doesn't need to be very powerful, but it should be one that is known to be dependable (hardware wise).

Installing server software on a Mac that has flaky hardware does you no good. Servers are intended to be on 24/7 without interruption.

10. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Eyoungren,

Will Do ... I've had very little hardware issues with mac's .. mainly video cards.

They're also easy to upgrade processors etc although looking at the 27" iMac , those days are about over.

I think the single best performance enhancer is the SSD though :)

Cheers Guys.. Nice experience with first time mac forum :D

11. MrPilot macrumors 6502

I agree.

I think any mac G3 and onwards will work just fine as a web/file server.

12. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks Men

Mr Pilot, not sure of the mount order of drives etc but will check for interests sake but will prob set up server soft.

I've got plenty good boxes and will prob do clean install w/ mirror raid.

they're also using "just cloud" cloud services, which has an annoying sync dialog so that will kill two birds, having a single company repository to sync up.

thanks again for all yr comments guys.. I now have direction :)

13. alexrmc92 macrumors regular

You may also want to look into some didicated RAID storage depending on how important the data is and how much of it you have. XServe RAID's are fairly cheap second hand and parts are easy to find. In a RAID 50 configuration you can get close to 4Gbps out of them.

14. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Which emulation are you using for 10.7.5?

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This shows just how much you are not paying attention, or just how much you want to believe your idea of emulating ML on a G5.

The OP made a typo. It was corrected a few posts down when he confirmed my statement that his shop is using MacPros and NOT G5s.

In other words, the OP is NOT USING A POWERMAC G5. They ARE using MacPros!

16. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys,

I was hoping the G5's might have a basic raid on board, I was only thinking of 2 x 3 TB
    mirrored.

the whole thing is going to be cloud sync'd anyway.

I understand that raid 50 is faster on the write as well as read and since a lot of the file processing requires a lot of read /write, I was thinking to still have a local (scratch) data disk anyway that may be backed to the server each day?

It's a gigabit network but I would have thought that this would still be too slow to work with in real time?

thanks

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You have to stop feeding/encouraging the rabidz's with G5 quotes. :D They'll keep turning up asking you questions about emulating Lion/Mountain Lion on the PowerPC Mac, which is not possible, although the rabidz's think it is.

Lion/Mountain Lion will run natively on a Mac Pro however.

18. MrPilot macrumors 6502

lol, yeah. In fact I believe the OP is actually posting his question in the wrong subforum as it appears that they have no ppc hardware at all :p

blueboat, good luck and keep us posted. And remember there is great FREE SMB server apps for OSX 10.7-10.8

19. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys,
    the 27" (new) Imac is a PPC ?? .. that's what brought me here.

Regardless of stirring the pot , It's been very informative and I'm building

a mac server :)

These are my brothers machines (hence my ignorance). ... I'm actually a

Windows man (only 'cos i'm not doing anything too special :) ).

Alexrmc92 ...

Thanks for advice re - x-serve ... With cloud as backup, I may only need an on-board sata (single) .. till I get my head around it.

Regards

20. blueboat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry ,, yr right...

It should be in desktops..

I read the i'mac Gx ... wtf

thanks Guys

over and out @!

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No worries. I don't think anyone was trying to run you off, just pointing out that it was posted in the wrong place.

Still happy to help if we can.