Flare Effect?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by phiberglass, Mar 11, 2008.

1. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

I've always been curious about this. It's the effect where kind of an orange/yellow/red gradient colors come on the screen almost like a full lens flare. I've mostly seen this in surfing movies, snowboard movies, extreme sports movies etc. I'm not quite sure how else to describe or if I can find a clip of it.

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Hmm, are you talking about just a standard lens flare? Because there are a lot of tutorials or plugins for those.

If you aren't, do you have a video that you could post with the effect in it (possibly from YouTube or something)?

P-Worm

3. phiberglass thread starter macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Nope it's not the standar lens flare. It's like an orangish/yellowish/redish gradiant that comes over the screen. Let me try to find an example.

4. phiberglass thread starter macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think you are talking about a film burn/flash effect.

Lethal

6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Yea, sounds like a film burn. A good way to make your own is to film a candle.

7. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

film burn! I'll admit I've used it to death myself but I still like the look of it as a transition.
    Film burn is caused when you hit the end of the film and it gets exposed to light while changing film rolls. It became a common transition in snowboard movies because the cameraman would run out the end of the film shooting the mountains or the rider walking back to the jump instead of taking the chance that he'd hit the end of the film while shooting a trick and lose the shot. Editors would save a whole bin of nothing but film burns to throw in as transitions.
    If you're going to use it as a transition, be careful that it fits with the footage if you want to avoid the groans of old school 16mm guys who'll call you out for putting film transitions on obvious video generated shots.