Flash 10.1 on 13" MBP performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBoobsPro, Aug 21, 2010.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Is it just me or is Flash 10.1 a huge steaming pile of poo?

I hate Flash to begin with and have click2flash installed but thought i'd cut Adobe a break and give them the benefit of the doubt that they would improve the performance of Flash.

However since I have installed it it takes Safari about 20 seconds to become responsive on a page that contains Flash. If I try and quit, it hangs and then becomes responsive but doesn't quit.

They really are crap at what they do. Unfortunately i cant just get rid of flash because its so engrained in the web so I will have to learn to live with as best I can until it finally dies off.

This was my final attempt at giving flash a go and its proved even worse than before. I wont be making efforts to view Flash sites or sections on sites if its in flash anymore. If the website creator cant open up their content to me i wont be sticking around.

/rant

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

It does not work great on my Macbook Pro either, but I guess it comes down to the implementation of Flash in OSX rather than Flash itself.
    You can install Windows in bootcamp on the same machine and Flash would run a lot better.

Remember about Adobe complaining that Apple would not give them full access to the OS or something? I guess that's the main reason...

When you think about it, after all the hype we had about HTML5, well it seems it's still good old Flash everywhere.

I don't care for one or another, just saying...

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Flash runs fine on my MBP 13". Uses only about 16% of the GPU. Really nice now.

4. Covart Guest

I hate Flash. If you use Google Chrome you can install a widget to prevent Flash from opening until you click on it. This helps... a bit anyway. At least it helps from the computer heating up until you want it to.

I'm seeing more and more HTML5 though (youtube is aiding in this effort). :D

5. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

CPU Usage under FullHD YouTube FLASH stream on i5 2.53 with 330M GT on: 75%

CPU Usage under FullHD YouTube HTML5 stream on i5 2.53 with 330M GT on: 35%

nuff said.

6. unwinded macrumors regular

Did anybody else notice an "improvement" after the SL graphic update? Could just be in my head though

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

not 'nuff said.
    Sorry op don't mean to threadjack but this bears repeating.
    Flash and the HTML5 <video> tag

8. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

It is only question of time before HTML5 can do all of those things you quoted. The technology behind HTML5 is able to do everything you said, the code just needs to be written, which is only the matter of time.

And not to go off topic, using YouTube in HTML5 right now is a lot better than using Flash. My user experience is much better and in the end, it is the user experience that will be the death of flash.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't doubt that HTML5 will eventually be able to do all these things (well, maybe not), but it won't be any time in the near future. It isn't even a standard yet.

User experience? lol Don't forget Flash works fine on Windows (and as mentioned above, it works fine in Windows on the same hardware). We mac users are the minority. And lest we forget it's Apple who blocked acceleration with older hardware.

10. Loptimist macrumors member

flash performs worse on osx system than does it on windows. that is a fact.

html5 won't catch up flash's features in near time.

hopefully by the time when it gets the same or more features than flash, it doesn't get ****** like flash does now.

or flash can be optimized before that time comes.

11. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Use Firefox and install Flash Block. Every Flash movie loads with a button in the center. If you want to see it, click it. If not no worries.
    --