flash 10.2 choppy full screen video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JonD25, Feb 10, 2011.

1. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Ever since I started using the new flash player 10.2, anything full screen is super choppy. Even standard definition videos. It noticed it first in Chrome because it was updated automatically. When I updated the rest of my browsers, the same thing started happening. I've tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration. No effect. Am I the only one experiencing this? I haven't heard anyone else complain. Nothing but praise for how much faster it is.

I'm on a mid 2010 MacBook Pro, 15", i7. I just tested it out, and it seems to be a lot less choppy on the lower powered Intel graphics card. On the higher powered Nvidia chip, it's definitely noticeable.

2. mark28 macrumors 68000

3. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Did a little test. Looks like it's only happening on Hulu right now. Youtube seems to be working perfectly.

4. netracer macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem on my new i7, in my old C2D all worked fine. I was trying beta version and i believed that's was the problem but after run the flash uninstaller and install new version, everything continues choppy on safari. In opera "works" fine. So I restart the MBP (windows' method to solved most problems) and the choppy video was disappeared, fullhd videos works soft as silk, windowed or full screen.

5. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. Now I feel like one of the people on The IT Crowd. "Did you try turning it off and on again?" A restart seems to have fixed it. I rarely restart my MacBook, and you don't usually think that's the go to solution for Macs. But when it works, it works. Thanks.

6. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ack! What the heck! It's doing it again! Now I'm really frustrated. I downgraded the flash plugin to 10.1, so it's nice and smooth in Safari, but I can't downgrade the plugin in Chrome, so that's still choppy. Uggghhh.

7. pyroo macrumors member

I haven't had any problems with 10.2, but I can help you downgrade the flash in chrome since it's not working for you...but even after you downgrade it, I dunno if it would update it again since chrome updates automatically in the background

Go to Library --> Internet Plug-Ins --> copy Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt --> paste on desktop

Quit chrome --> go to Applications --> right click chrome --> Show package contents --> Contents --> Versions --> (click the latest version) --> Google Chrome Framework.framwork --> Internet Plug-Ins --> delete Flash Player Plugin for Chrome.plugin --> on desktop, rename the Flash Player.plugin to Flash Player Plugin for Chrome.plugin --> drag and drop the Flash Player Plugin for Chrome.plugin and flashplayer.xpt to replace the flash plugin that you deleted

Hope that wasn't confusing, to make sure it has been downgraded, type in about:plugins in chrome and check which version of flash it is using

8. pyroo macrumors member

it's "about : plugins" without the space, it was changed into smiley face lol

9. vladinecko macrumors member

i have the same problem. all works fine with Chrome for me though. very annoying.

10. 413x3, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

413x3 macrumors newbie

I have this problem too on a new model mac mini, any fixes?

check/uncheck hardware acceleration does not help

11. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Yes, my 2.0 c2d 9400 mac mini is doing this as well—especially with Hulu. Full screen on my 23 inch display used to work smooth as butter, now it works like an intel GMA 950...what the heck? I thought it was the 10.6.7 update, so i downgraded the mini to 10.6.6...maybe seems a bit better, no issues with netflix.

Both flash 10.2 and 10.3 beta are the same. Used adobe’s flash uninstall app...

Hulu still works fine on my 2010 i5 MBP with a 20 inch ips display attached, with both 10.6.6 and 10.6.7...

Somewhat tech savvy and did all the basics to resolve this with no fix...

Maybe this is just a Hulu thing...an attempt to get more folks to buy the $7 subscription as opposed to the free...?

Hope someone has a solution...

12. 413x3 macrumors newbie

It's doing it for me in nhl.com and foxsoccer.tv
    Basically every video that uses flash. Their support is no help

13. JonD25 thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems to have fixed itself for me. Don't know what to tell you guys, but I'm still using Chrome, and I haven't had any problems with flash at all since around when I last posted.