Flash 10 for smartphone beta coming this October

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edesignuk, Jun 23, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I thought adobe and apple where working together at one time?

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

:confused: Why?

Progress is progress...

4. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

5. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

zomg how will this look if the pré AND the android have it and the iphone dosent?! More sprint advertising comparing these 2 phones?! T-mobile going we have it Haha?! I think now Apple is being held by the bullies. Hopefully we get it soon enough.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I dont think they are the same thing or can replace each other.

HTML 5 video tag also needs codec support. Not as simple as you think.

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Engadget.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

I really don't want flash. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I definitely don't want flashing banner ads.

EDIT: Not only that, I can only think of one time in the past couple years that I've wanted it. I went on a car website that was flash based and I couldn't see it. That's it.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree that it's affected me less than I'd have thought. On the other hand, it would be nice to have occasionally as a feature, at least until such a time as most websites are no longer using it heavily.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I don't know where some of you hang out, but I rarely see flashing ads. :)

It could probably be set up so that you have to click to start things, similar to the way that videos are done now.

I want Flash for:

1) Ability to see news and review videos without having to back to my laptop.

2) Ability to use websites that are written in it.

3) Once it's everywhere, it becames a develop-once platform for mobile devices. Talk about a monster app market !

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I have yet to encounter a website written in Flash that I would say was well-composed. It's always comes out as some gaudy, hard-to-maneuver piece of drivel.

Ohhh, I SO look forward to THAT day... :rolleyes:

I'm not against Flash on the iPhone, but I wish flash developers would be more inclined to use Flash more responsibly. So far, I've never met an exclusive-Flash website I liked. I can't say I look forward to the day when those annoying dancing mortgage ads or those embedded ads with video that feel that I must hear their audio at full volume whether I like it nor not end up gracing my iPhone screen.

I originally saw the lack of Flash as a detriment, but to be honest, not having to deal with the annoyances of bad Flash design has ended up making my web experiences on the iPhone kinda pleasant, actually. Very occasionally, I run into a website that has flash that I WISH I could see on my iPhone. But when I finally do get in front of a desktop to view the site, I always end up thinking "gee, nothing on this site absolutely required that it be written in Flash. Why the hell did they do that?"

12. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Right, but Safari already supports HTML5 video, it just doesn't support OGG Theora. I think Adobe needs to rewrite Flash from scratch and work on performance issues. There's absolutely NO reason why an internet video that's barely 640x480, causes my quad core CPU to jump to 70%. Not even Blu-ray does that to my CPU. And forget watching "HD", as my MacBook Pro U/b goes close to 95%, fans a blazin'. Flash is such a resource hog, and Adobe doesn't want to do anything about it. So I'll take HTML5 video any day. HTML5 can definitely replace Flash/Silverlight, as more browsers are supporting it.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The iphone will not get flash anytime soon, from what I've seen on the net.

14. specops macrumors regular

I think Apple will do exactly what they do every time.

The others will come out with flash 10. We will hear nothing from Apple for 12 months.

Apple will be a year behind but when they launch flash for the iphone it will be a special version they made with the help of adobe and it will be FAR better.

15. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The Register | Video demo.

16. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I really don't see the point in Flash on the iPhone. MacRumors' ad banners take long enough to load as it is.