Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yangdh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Can I flash a Sapphire X1950XTX 512M PC card to Mac with X1950XT PPC ROM found in this forum? Where can I find the right ROM for it? I've searched around but only found some for X1900XT/X1950XT(256M).
Thank you in advance.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you for your reply. The site doesn't have the rom for X1950XTX or even X1950XT. Actually I have the rom for X1950XT, but I don't known if that one could be used to flash X1950XTX that has different VRAM size(512M) and type(DDR4).

Do not flash that card if ROM is not from the same model.

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
I agree. That both X1859XT and X1950XTX have similar core chips(580,580+) still makes me think I could give a try when I have time.

----------

Could you also take a look at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1706020/ , and kindly give me some help?

No problem, you need to find ATI FireGL X3 256MB with Samsung chips.
There is ROM on macelite website, but you have to change device ID.
You can find out your device ID easily on windows machine with drivers installed and using GPU-Z application.

To change device ID in Mac ROM from macelite, you need hex editor.

yangdh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
No problem, you need to find ATI FireGL X3 256MB with Samsung chips.
There is ROM on macelite website, but you have to change device ID.
You can find out your device ID easily on windows machine with drivers installed and using GPU-Z application.

To change device ID in Mac ROM from macelite, you need hex editor.
Thank you for your quick answer. My card is ATI FireGL X3 256M with Samsung memory chips I just looked. I tried both FireGL rom(without modification) and X800XT reduced one(changed DID in line 3 and 8 to 4A4D) from macelite website by a PC, but no success. I failed with " card rom size (00010000) < new rom size (0001E200)" error when I did it in my PowerMac G5(2CPUs) running Tiger. I wonder if the OS matters. Must I do flashing on Leopard, or in safe mode, or by no confirm flasher?

yangdh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I'm afraid it won't work due to X1950XTX's DDR4 memory. Stick to X1950XT - guaranteed to work with no issues.
Thank you, you could be right about X1950XTX flashing.
I flashed X1950XT with a rom from you found in this forum, but I have two minor issues:
1). The GPU temperature can not sensed and monitored,
2). When I leave machine in sleeping , it can not be waked again - I have to shutdown with pressing switch button for several seconds.
Do you also have these issues with X1950XT card?
Thank you again.

Last edited:

bax2003

Cancelled
Dec 25, 2011
Thank you for your quick answer. My card is ATI FireGL X3 256M with Samsung memory chips I just looked. I tried both FireGL rom(without modification) and X800XT reduced one(changed DID in line 3 and 8 to 4A4D) from macelite website by a PC, but no success. I failed with " card rom size (00010000) < new rom size (0001E200)" error when I did it in my PowerMac G5(2CPUs) running Tiger. I wonder if the OS matters. Must I do flashing on Leopard, or in safe mode, or by no confirm flasher?

Try with this BIOS. Compare Device IDs, edit if necessary and flash.
This is BIOS dumped form my flashed ATI FireGL X3 256MB, at the moment in G5 from signature as ATI X800XT.

Make sure after successful flash you install:
macosx-ati-displays-4-5-7.dmg
https://www.mediafire.com/?hcat7dfhxh3o0fm

Attachments

• SLOT-1 ATY,TracerParent.zip
    14.7 KB · Views: 353
  • ATI X800 XT.png
    ATI X800 XT.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:

yangdh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Thank you very much for four help. I just tried but couldn't make it. I use my G5 running Tiger 10.4.11 and follow the procedures:
1). Plugin the FireGL X3 256 card in APG slot, connect power supply and monitor. Switch on the G5.
2). Use VNC viewer from a PC to connect the OSX remote desktop. The card recognized as VGA compatible card.(see attach.)
3). Open Graphiccelerator, select ATI multi flasher and your rom downloaded above, and save. It said "OK".
4). Go to ATI tools folder, run "run me first", then launch ATI multi flasher. A confirmation window appeared, and I pressed "Yes".(see attach.)
5). A window prompted and disappeared so quickly that I couldn't catch what message on it, then another window appeared showing "Error Programming Devices".(see attch.)
I tried also in safe boot, using SSH to start Tiger's VNC server for VNC viewer. The same results as before.
What's wrong with my doings?
I'll try to flash in a PC, and report back what happens.

Attachments

• cardinfo0.png
    cardinfo0.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 258
  • graphiccelerator00.png
    graphiccelerator00.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 418
  • flahs01.png
    flahs01.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 206
  • flahs02.png
    flahs02.png
    14 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

yangdh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
Success!

Finally I succeeded in the flashing! My processes are somewhat weird: flashing in a PC or in A Mac didn't work for me. I tried in a PC running PCDOS 7.10 many time using various versions of ATI flashers and roms, but all my effort was in vein and went nowhere. Some flashers(more recent ones) did report flashing success but the card simply won't work on Mac. I also found the 64K rom file couldn't be written into the card fully because the dumped file was only 32K after successful flashing! So I tried the followings using both PC and Mac, that did the trick:
1). Flash the card in a PC with bax2003's rom above in the thread.
2). Plug in the Mac G5(it won't work of course)
3). Power on the Mac and use VNC to access it.
4). Use Graphiccelerator to load the flasher and rom. When the card holds PC rom it can not be flashed as my previous posts. It holds broken Mac rom this time.
5). Run the ATI multi flasher, a confirmation window prompts up showing some differences in SSID and PINS between card and intended rom.
6). Press "Yes", a progress bar appears and finishes successfully.
7). Restart the G5. The Apple logo screen shows up and it boots to black-white screen image with some artifacts.
8). Install necessary ATI drivers and tools. It works like a charm.(oh, wait, temp is not sensed)

The procedures above work for me at least, may be they are also viable for others.
Thank you, bax2003, your help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
Sorry to post in such an old thread, but can a X1950XT agp card be flashed with this rom?

yassi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Well, not directly related to the X1950XTX, but to X1950XT: I have a ASUS X1950XT (PCI-e, 256MB, bought 2 of them on ebay about one year ago) in my G5, I was then able to flash a ROM I've found somewhere here or in another forum. Still have the ROM if needed.

But another question to Bax2003: is the ATI Displays software really needed? Can't remember to have it installed.

oi!

Suspended
Jan 10, 2016
Hmm, out bid on the XT, so got a Pro instead. AGP XT's are seriously rare! Will the XT rom work on the Pro?
If so, then yes please!!!!!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
If you want one of these cards that desperately, get a Quad and find a retail card. They're not super expensive, and are the best performing non-flashed card you can get for the Quad(and the better flashed cards fall into "angels dancing on the head of a pin" category).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.