Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honeyailyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Hello,

I want to be able to fill a shape that I draw in Flash with an existing movie clip.

For example:

First I draw the outline of a tree. Then I fill it with a squiggly line movie clip using Actionscript. I have searched the Internet for a solution for some time now and can't seem to find anything similar to this any where. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Thank you,
Honey

honeyailyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Actionscript drawing

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm taking an Advanced Workshop class and my professor thought it would be best and easiest to create this using Actionscript. My original idea was to create it frame by frame. Do you know if it's even possible to do this with Actionscript? Up until now I believe it's not but I don't know enough Actionscript yet to say for sure.

The class is Advanced Web... but we've been doing more of Internet Art than anything else.

If it's possible to create this using Actionscript I would love to know how. All I need is a starting point. I can definitely figure out the rest on my own. All I've found is how to create a movie clip using Actionscript and fill it with color but I haven't seen to where you can fill an existing shape or movie clip with another movie clip. Does Actionscript have the ability to do this?

Thanks a bunch,
Honey

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
If it's possible to create this using Actionscript I would love to know how. All I need is a starting point. I can definitely figure out the rest on my own. All I've found is how to create a movie clip using Actionscript and fill it with color but I haven't seen to where you can fill an existing shape or movie clip with another movie clip. Does Actionscript have the ability to do this?

I'm not 100% sure of what you want to do, could you explain it a little more?

Do you want one big clip filled with many smaller clips? Or do you want one one other clip inside of one other.

honeyailyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Actionscript drawing

I'm not 100% sure of what you want to do, could you explain it a little more?

Do you want one big clip filled with many smaller clips? Or do you want one one other clip inside of one other.

That's exactly it...I want to create one larger shape, whether it's a movie clip or vector shape (doesn't matter) and fill it with one repeating smaller movie clip.

I figure it be best to convert my large shape into a movie clip before filling it but am not sure.

But I have not been able to find a way to fill anything with an existing small movie clip.

Will someone please help...???

Thanks for your help,
Honey

barrysfarm

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
First I draw the outline of a tree. Then I fill it with a squiggly line movie clip using Actionscript. I have searched the Internet for a solution for some time now and can't seem to find anything similar to this any where. I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible.

I wouldn't do this in Actionscript. It'd be much easier to control the results if it was timeline based. Even frame by frame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.