Flash... Ah Ahhh....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Do we really have to keep updating 'Flash' or should I just say 'yeh'. There has to be a reason Apple don't make nice with them. Anyone out there who doesn't use Flash, or do you just update everytime they ask us to

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

I keep mine up to date, but I use the "Click to Flash" extension for Safari.
    I just get annoyed by all the ads.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

you will probably find quite a lot of people dont use flash, apple dont like it and have not got it on any iOS device

I usually just update it when it wants

If you dont want flash, have a look at
    http://clicktoflash.com/

it stops flash loading, but you just double click the flash image and it loads it (so you can decide which flash images to see)

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, right. You guys know so much, I feel like a child on here.
    Thanks

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

For some reason I feel like listening to a bit of Queen after reading this thread title :D

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Someone got it then!!:cool:

Notice Blackberry's new Playbook has used it as the theme to their telly ad to have a dig at the iPad.

I do miss it on the iPhone it has to be said, but don't understand why people wouldn't want the option on their Macs...

7. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Aye, noticed that, was quite funny

not sure how bad flash is on more modern macs, mine is a 2007 model, if I open up a heavy flash page, the flash plug in uses about 80% of the cpu and the cooling fans go into overdrvie

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Depends what I'm watching, but the flash on my PC crashed ALL the time

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I always try to keep everything up to date. There are times when I don't want flash and for that, I use FlashFrozen.

10. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Flash is one thing you should always update. It's got more bugs than a tropical isle and more vulnerabilities than... I dunno, something with a whole lot of vulnerabilities.

They just keep coming across security holes in the thing. And meanwhile it's still a resource hog.

What I do and recommend is to uninstall Flash, using Google Chrome for those increasingly rare occasions when you need Flash (as it has Flash built-in and sandboxed) per the instructions at http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/flash_free_and_cheating_with_google_chrome. Chrome auto-updates, so you'll be up-to-date if you use it.

I generally prefer Firefox for a variety of reasons but have found it very handy to have Chrome available when Flash is needed.

11. itsmrjon, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

itsmrjon macrumors regular

A rather elegant solution is to use Google Chrome as your browser.

Firstly, it has flash embedded and it keeps it up to date for you... (no more of that nagging update)
    Secondly, you can very easily disable/enable flash at your will.

If you have/get chrome, just type 'about:plugins' in your address bar (less the quotes ofcourse), and disable flash. If you go on a flash based website, just re-enable and so on.

You have it when you want it, it's gone when you don't!

-----
    whoops didn't fully read the post above me! but yes, what they said + I gave you the quick way to enable/disable flash

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Great, thanks guys. I didn't know that, so wouldn't Google Chrome if it has Flash built in, just have the same software as Flash, and same bugs etc... I had a nightmare with Chrome and more so Firefox on the PC. That's why I've not bothered with them on the Mac. Every other minute I got 'script error' and a freeze with Firefox, so although it's a different animal on the Mac, I have bad memories of it! But wasn't aware Chrome carried Flash

13. itsmrjon macrumors regular

Yes, chrome having flash built in carries essentially the same bugs. HOWEVER chrome essentially 'protects' you from those bugs by stopping suspicious activity before it happens. In addition (i believe this was mentioned in a prior post) chrome's flash is 'sandboxed.' You can google what this means, but a good metaphor of what it is would be to compare it to a firewall.

Just a moment ago infact chrome reported to me that flash was behaving irregularly and has been disabled (automatically by chrome). Which reminded me of this thread, which is why I checked it.

14. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'll give that one a go, Don't want to use Firefox, Safari has been reasonably OKish