Flash and Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by thatisme, Aug 4, 2011.

1. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

Well, I was perusing Adobe's education site, as I am needing to order their CS 5.5 Design Premium suite. Their site is 100% flash coding (at least in the store). My MBA (with click to flash) started at 98 degrees Fahrenheit according to SMC fan control.

After clicking to allow Flash on their site, sitting on the education store page for CS 5.5 for less than 30 seconds, my temps went to 160 degrees fahrenheit. another 30 seconds or so, I was at 199 degrees Fahrenheit and the fans were going NUTS!

So, I closed Safari, and literally in 10 seconds or less, the temps went to 145 fahrenheit, and 30 seconds after shutting down Safari, temps are at 110.

I am running the current beta Flash build.

I know it's been covered here before, but it is astonishing the degree of negative performance from a mainstream plug-in.

2. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Flash sucks on Windows too but is even worse on Macs. Basically Adobe does lousy coding and tried to turn Flash into much more than it is capable of. SO its a resource hog, slow, and a security issue as well. I'll be glad when its gone forever.

3. EchoPure, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

EchoPure macrumors member

I have the exact problem with the built in flash in Chrome. Do any of you know if the 10.7.1 update fixes the fan speeds when playing flash for any website in Safari or Chrome?

My fan runs at 6500 rpms when flash runs in Chrome. :mad:

The only exception is that only Youtube videos played at 720p full screen mode will not kick in the fan after the 10.7.1 update. However, other sites that play flash will kick in the fan.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

yeah, i notice a lot more problems with flash on my air than i ever have before on my previous windows machines. I wonder how flash runs on windows 7 in boot camp? why does it run so poorly on osx? is it apple not allowing api's or adobe just not putting in the resources because of the small market share? I never had any problems with flash before.

5. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Flash is baddd....:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(! I couldn't even watch Flash vids on my windows laptop because the CPU would ramp to 100% in less than a minute. My Air seems to kick up a bit on flash sites, but manages to keep it within 20-40% cpu usage. Sometimes less than 10%. I'm just glad I have the option now of watching flash vids if I choose to.

6. jcg878 macrumors member

I look forward to the death of Flash. ClicktoFlash (ClicktoPlugin) is your friend, not that it helps on Flash-requiring websites.

7. javier29m90, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012

javier29m90 macrumors newbie

clicktoflash works great but...

Safari 5.1 eat a lot of ram like there's no tomorrow,so watch videos online in mac is a pain;using firefox 6 (with html5) use 30% for 360p video NOT FUNNY

oh and can you tell me why html5 perform better with clicktoplugin vs html testtube?