Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coldsnap0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
My powerbook g4 froze while watching movies on iTunes. So I ran disk permission repair, restarted in safe mode, and cleared PRAM. Then i watched the same movie with VLC, and I finished it without any issues.
Then I proceeded to browse in gamespot, a heavy flash site. (My heat monitor program said it was at 58degrees). Then it froze just like the iTunes movie.

I'm 90% sure it's not a cooling issue since my fans kick in when I'm playing games and such. And not a harddrive issue because I've never had any slow downs or issues while booting up.
I dunno why iTunes movie and Flash seems to be messing my lappy up. (Both on Firefox and Safari).

Any suggestions? Or should i just proceed to a clean install of Leopard?

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
My powerbook g4 froze while watching movies on iTunes. So I ran disk permission repair, restarted in safe mode, and cleared PRAM. Then i watched the same movie with VLC, and I finished it without any issues.
Then I proceeded to browse in gamespot, a heavy flash site. (My heat monitor program said it was at 58degrees). Then it froze just like the iTunes movie.

I'm 90% sure it's not a cooling issue since my fans kick in when I'm playing games and such. And not a harddrive issue because I've never had any slow downs or issues while booting up.
I dunno why iTunes movie and Flash seems to be messing my lappy up. (Both on Firefox and Safari).

Any suggestions? Or should i just proceed to a clean install of Leopard?

Tiger is more like it. Your real problem is that your computer is too old and slow. Flash is very intensive for G4 computers. You probably need to quit using flash heavy content on that computer.

Coldsnap0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Uh

I don't think flash is too intensive for 1.25ghz g4 with 2 gig ram, my old laptop with 1ghz and like 256ram won't freeze with flash...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sounds like it might be bad memory or a corrupt installation...

You might try:

- Removing the memory modules one at a time and seeing how it performs on just one of them

- Creating a new account and seeing if you can replicate the issue on the new account

- And if neither work, reinstalling OS X, as you mention.

Coldsnap0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2008
Do i need to download flashplayer like with windows after leopard reinstall?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.