Flash ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by multimania, Jun 16, 2010.

1. multimania macrumors member

Hi Guys, I'm at the end of my rag. I tried to install Flash 10.1 that's just been released. It hangs at 95% and then does jack all. I can uninstaller but I can't for the life of me get it to install. I flaming well hate Flash but I need it to view the F1 on the BBC.

can anyone help me!!!!!!!!

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just as an experiment, have you tried installing either an older one (10.0 line, which uses a different kind of installer than 10.1 so might work) or a beta of 10.1 from Adobe?

3. mrbash macrumors 6502

Have you closed all of your browsers? Use Activity Monitor to ensure that there are no browser processes active but hidden. Then try to re-install flash.

4. multimania thread starter macrumors member

I just tried an older version, that installs fine, so it's something with the new version I think.

I did check activity monitor and there was no plugin processes.
    The thing is they say they are security fixes with this new version so do I need it?

Many thanks

Update: I just looked in the package contents and there was an adobe flash player.pkg in there, I ran that and it seems to have worked. It seems like a permissions based issue to me with adobe's installer (i have already repaired mine.)

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

Glad you found a workaround. Adobe's installers have a long history of being absolute abominations when it comes to... well, pretty much anything causing them to fail utterly.

Their new installer foundation, which Flash Player 10.1 uses, has thus far proven at least as bad as earlier incarnations in my experience--I've already needed to do full reinstalls of Adobe Reader on two systems at work and one at home because the installer found something it didn't like.

6. qwerty1, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. slalom93 macrumors newbie

same problem new Flash hangs at 95% completed on Mac 10.6.4

I've got the same problem on my MBP with Firefox and hate this Flashcraap that said I must install the new version - don't believe them anymore! I tried so many different ways and uninstalled the previous version so was getting to the conclusion that I'd wasted enough time and effort on their mistakes and wanted to go back to the old version. Will try and post back.

8. slalom93 macrumors newbie

That fixed it... (ARRRGGGGGHHHH!!! flush phlash)

Rolling back to the old version worked; maybe I'm starting to see why Jobs dislikes them.