Flash backs??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by m3gau, Jun 4, 2007.

1. m3gau macrumors member

Hey guys
    I'm currently in pre production for a film and we want to include some flashbacks etc. We have done this before to fairly good effect but these have always been quite long drawn out flashbacks so its more like just another section of film (last time i did it in black and white + letter box to change the feel of that section) but this time we want them to be more of a flash flash back so like split second clips etc but when I've been practicing to see how it looks it never has the right feel.
    Any ideas on how to make them look different from the film but still quick and also how to make them dramatic like in some films you see things like this!
    Thanks for any help

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ermm quick white flashs before the flash back and a kind of woossshhhing noise? Like Lost's flash backs but faster..

3. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

A wooshing noise?? If you have sound track or something can you give me an example? How quick white flashes like a frame or two or faster??

4. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

any other ideas are also welcome i'd quite like to experiment with a few different ideas to see what works best with the film!

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I would recommend playing with the color correction. Desaturate the colors, boost the contrast, maybe add some film grain, maybe tint it a color like a blue or puke green. Whatever you do, come up with a specified look for you flashback, make sure it contrasts normal time, and then stick to that style for every flashback.

P-Worm

6. m3gau thread starter macrumors member

Cheers. What about transitions? Whats a good way of getting from one time to the other? fades flashes etc? I have a lot of ideas of my own but I like getting other peoples ideas??

7. mikehokie macrumors regular

Just do like Lost's and cut to the next scene. Or you can use the cheesy style rippling dream effect.

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just video tape yourself saying "THIS IS A FLASHBACK" and put that before every flash back.

9. slinky0390 macrumors regular

i recently did a flashback in a quick video test, i did a quick white flash before the flashback, added a gausan (i know i spelled it wrong) blur, and messed with the gamma corrector, it gives an almost eerie ghost effect to the shot.. you could also try a light sepia tone

10. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

One thing to help is to add an audio cue. Make an dialogue and sound played during the flashback a bit muddled and distant sounding. That way it feels more like you are inside someone's head reliving their memories.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I'd use a dip to color (white) dissolve maybe 10-15 frames and then change the colors of the flashback scene to something contrasting the rest of the film. And also use some kind of sound effect on the transitions or something.