Flash blocking in Safari

Clunge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Bit of help / advice / guidance please.

Since I switched to Mac a couple of years ago, I've been using Click To Plugin to block Flash content / other annoying things like Silverlight, etc, unless I choose to view it (by simply clicking the placeholder).

I've found since then though, it has become increasingly unreliable and unsupported. I note Click To Flash hasn't been officially supported since 10.6.

YouTube, in particular, is very hit and miss for what does/doesn't work (some content just reads 'Error') and I'm also finding an increasing number of video players simple just not being blocked or auto-playing regardless.

Am I missing something? Is Flash/all these other plug ins/players not so evil as they used to be, or am I simply trying to use an old solution on increasingly new software? Is there a 2015 equivalent of Click To Plugin?

I'm on an early 2013 13-in rMBP running El Capitan 10.11.1. Any help would be great, ta!

Clunge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Thanks. Have updated to CtP 3.18 but still getting the same issues. Astonished no-one's worked on a brand new version, I'm sure there would be a lot of demand for such functionality.

What's the actual difference between CtF and CtP? Is it simply CtF just does Flash and CtP does other formats too? I just installed CtP on a recommendation two years ago and have been doing so every OS clean install since!

Reactions: nmeed

Ebenezum

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
My recommendation is to ditch Flash, Sliverlight, etc. completely.

If that is not possible Chromium might be alternative solution.

Clunge

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
I'd love to, but there are so many sites I use regularly that rely on Flash, Silverlight, etc - i.e. sites I work on.

Guess CtP is going to be the best compromise for the foreseeable future until HTML overtakes everything (not holding my breath here...).