Flash cards with the iphone - language learning

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by igmolinav, Jun 13, 2008.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have an iphone, (not the 3G), and I would like it to use to improve my language learning skills.

Do you know of a link or a program to use with my iphone??

Do people with a 3G iphone have more advantages, (than people who own an older version), when using the iphone for this purpose ??

Thank you very much for your help : ) !!!

Kind regards,

Ignacio.

2. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

iStudy is a simple, basic iPhone flashcard program. I use it for learning Mandarin and it's handy to use when you have five minutes spare waiting, queueing, etc, etc.

There are a few pre-made flashcard sets on Installer, for Japanese and Korean IIRC. To make a set is real easy - just download a set and change the questions.txt and answers.txt files for your chosen language.

To aid my Mandarin learning, weDict is essential as is iChinese for practise writing sinograms with your finger (good for stroke order) and iCosta for keyboard input on SMS, notepad, email, etc. I'm sure whatever language you're studying, there are lots of apps to help you.

You'll probably find when the App Store opens, lots of learning programs will be available. Personally, I have little interest in games but productivity and educational apps will be great to have in your pocket, available any time. And I don't see what advantage the 3G iPhone will have over the current model - only the 3G speed for downloading (just use wifi!). The touchscreen is the same and firmware 2.0 is upgradeable on the original.

3. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

You'll probably find when the App Store opens, lots of learning programs will be available. Personally, I have little interest in games but productivity and educational apps will be great to have in your pocket, available any time. And I don't see what advantage the 3G iPhone will have over the current model - only the 3G speed for downloading (just use wifi!). The touchscreen and firmware 2.0 are will be the same on the original.[/QUOTE]

Hey Spriter !!!

Thank you very much for your message. I'll use iStudy meanwhile, and when the App Store opens, I'll try to get some of the learning programs.

Me too, I'm not that much into games. I prefer to have good educational applications.

Cool !!! I may not have a super fast internet, but if I can do the other things it's cool. It is good to know that I'll be fine with my iphone : ) !!!

Thank you very much again : ) !!!

igmolinav

P.S. I have also sent you a private message.

4. Hardisk macrumors newbie

Hardisk

New Language Software Coming....

Hey there,

There is a cool new native iPhone App being developed that I think you might be interested in. The company site is www.itranzsoftware.com

It's more designed to help people who speak different languages communicate, but it also has a Flash Phrase feature you might find useful for learning.

Hope this helps....

5. joecode macrumors newbie

iFlipr

iFlipr is a flashcard app that works on iPhones, iPod touches, and even old cell phones. Its at: http://iflipr.com

Disclaimer: I built it. :)

Joe

6. erniethomason macrumors newbie

I just released an iPhone flashcard app called "Flashcards Double-Platinum Pro". A unique feature is a built-in searchable dictionary of your cards. This is another option.

7. unquiet macrumors newbie

8. DustinKirk macrumors newbie

Learn and review Spanish Flashcards

[​IMG]

If you are interested in learning Spanish, check out Spanish Stacks... It includes 1,500 Spanish/English equivalent phrases along with the context (past, present, or future tense) noted as well as the formality of the phrase. They were written by a professional Spanish teacher and includes phrases that cover 15 topics (Holidays, Travel, Government, Emergencies, etc...).

You can even create your own flashcards on any topic via the website.

[​IMG]
    $3.99 in the App Store

9. arielitovsky, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

arielitovsky macrumors newbie

I have just released Flash Cards Free! The only free, fully functional flash card app on the iPhone.

[​IMG]

http://www.fcfree.com

Or download from the iTunes store
    [​IMG]

FC Free! allows you to create and study your own cards quickly and easily. It also integrates with Quizlet.com, giving you access to thousands of cards in seconds.
    Then, you can use the learn mode to familiarize yourself with them.

In addition, the test mode saves the cards in different stacks, following the Leitner System.
    If you take the test again, FC Free will show you the cards you have the most trouble with first.

This application is free and ad supported.

Features
    -Create and edit your own card sets and cards
    -Download cards from Quizlet.com
    -Learn mode
    -Test mode