Flash Causes Laggy/Choppy Inertial Scrolling?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JagNL, Mar 11, 2011.

1. JagNL macrumors member

I just picked up a Refurbished 2010 15" MBP with the Hi-Res Screen and I have a problem in that every time I install flash I get laggy/chopping inertial scrolling. (Regardless of if I am on Integrated or Discreet Graphics, it's only slight less laggy on Discrete). If I uninstall flash I have smooth as butter scrolling again. This applies to both Safari 5 and Chrome, both react the same.

So far the only solution I've found is to install Click2Flash to block flash on websites which with it installed I get my smooth inertial scrolling back (That or uninstall Flash completely).

Is there something wrong with my MBP or is there a permanent solution to this? Does this happen on anyone's 2011 MBP?

Thanks for any input!

2. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

Late Morning Bump, would like to compare before my 14 day return window is up! :apple:

3. Benjamins macrumors 6502a

It's actually normal unfortunately....

And people wonder why Mac users hate flash.

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I haven't really seen this on my MacBook Pro (which is a 2010 model), however I have seen what you describe on a display model at a local shop. Out of curiosity, does the choppiness occur if you turn inertial scrolling off in System Preferences?

5. kowalabearhugs, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

kowalabearhugs macrumors newbie

kowalabearhugs

What are the specs of your system? What do your cpu utilization levels look like when this occurs? What your sys/cpu temps?

If you have a slow(er) processor and subsystem then it's completely normal.

6. karohan macrumors 6502

Nope, its completely normal. Even on the higher end Macs. Though for me, that choppiness is actually mitigated by using Chrome or Firefox. It's more visible in Safari.

7. JagNL thread starter macrumors member

My system is a 15" 2010 Macbook Pro, Core i5 2.4ghz with the Geforce GT330M (256mb VRAM) (Hi-Res AG). (Note: the laggy inertial scrolling happens on both the integrated graphics and the discreet graphics when flash is running.)

Kyzelios: The scrolling is fine when I turn off the inertial scrolling in preferences.

I'll see if I can load some software and look at CPU utilization and temps, any suggestions on a good set of software for the aforementioned?