Flash causes macbook air to go nuts!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by J-Dizzle, Jul 26, 2011.

1. J-Dizzle macrumors newbie

I wanted to see an HD trailer, and I have heard that flash doesn't play nice. I haven't had an apple notebook in 5 years, so I didn't exactly know what to expect. Within 30 seconds my fans on the 13 inch i7 went full blast. This notebook sounded like a fricken airplane. Is this normal when watching videos? I stopped the video after about 3 minutes because I was afraid my laptop was going to get damaged. I'm not too sure how loud the fans are supposed to get. So far nothing has triggered anything remotely close to this on my air other than flash. It does say it is in beta I guess.

2. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

my fan has never been loud even when playing videos

3. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

Unfortunately, this is normal, at least for me. Watching videos in Flash will always cause the fans to kick in.

4. J-Dizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

How loud were your fans? My air honestly scared me. I am just trying to figure out what is normal and what is not, so I don't damage this thing heh.

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

6. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Yeah I have been using ClickToFlash and YouTube5 and it helps a lot, the only problem is there is an annoying bug in Safari when running in fullscreen mode, where when you fullscreen a HTML5 video window it bugs out the UI. When you exit fullscreen in the video, and then swipe left/right to change fullscreen apps it causes the bars at the top of Safari to stay on the screen even when on a different desktop. It's an ugly bug and I hope it gets fixed in 10.7.1

7. J-Dizzle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link! Is it safe to say chrome would be the better browser for a noob like me then? I am weighing the pros and cons of using chrome instead of safari.

8. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

Chrome is nice but still not supported in FS mode, which is a reason I switched to Safari until they figure that out. Safari is great and the extensions are easy to install (there are links in the article).

I have noticed some bugs with FS mode in general, so your mileage may vary.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Fans are supposed to spin safely as fast as needed. You're not going to damage anything.