Flash causing Safari/MBP to crash - how common is this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SephirothXR, Jul 6, 2010.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

It happens about once a day now with Safari. Sometimes it causes my MBP to crash. I know all the controversy about Apple and Flash, but is it this common? I do have the latest versions of Flash and Safari, but is the problem this ubiquitous or is there probably something I'm doing wrong with my 1 year old 13" MBP (4 GB RAM, 2.26 Ghz, 250GB)

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're trying to load and/or use a large amount at a single given point in time, what you're describing sounds pretty common. It's probably not an issue with your computer, but rather Mac OS; it has never really played nice with flash. It could potentially be overloading your CPU.

3. slyseekr macrumors member

I'm having similar problems with Flash and Safari/Firefox/Chrome. The plugin crashes multiple times per day, but thankfully the newest versions of the browsers (for me) allow Flash to crash without crashing the browser.

4. keithano macrumors member

Same here, when I play the flash game on facebook, it will crash momentarily. However, Firefox 4 has just released today, and one of their new features is that when the flash crash, it will not crash the whole application, but only that tab. So they said you can simply refresh that tab to get everything normal again. I haven't tried it yet, but would be...

5. brianfast macrumors regular

Flash is garbage. Adobe software is garbage. That stuff should be illegal, it crashes so much.

6. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

7. emptyego macrumors newbie

emptyego

I had this problem for a few weeks after I upgraded to the latest version of Safari 5. This is the only thing that worked for me:

Close Safari and navigate to your "USERS/yourname" folder, then "Library" and finally "Caches". Drag the folder that says "com.apple.Safari" to the Trash and reopen Safari. See if that helps. :)

8. Dgpsx7 macrumors member

I had this exact problem with my new MBP and it upset me. Luckily it is a very quick fix. Go to the adobe website and download the latest version of flash. I haven't had my computer freeze since.

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

My old G5 iMac's Safari used to crash about 3 times a day due to flash, but ever since upgrading to the i7 iMac, I can only think of 1-2 instances in about 4 months where safari has crashed due to flash. The other 1-2 times were due to javascript.