Flash crash on Chrome & Firefox 4 (mostly youtube)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aznguyen316, Apr 11, 2011.

1. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

On Chrome and FF4, I've noticed, briefly while owning the 2010 15" and now my current 2011 15" that Chrome has problems loading youtube. The yt window where the video should be fails to load, although audio will come up. The window behind it or the desktop will be visible "through" the place where the video should be. A quit out of chrome and reload fixes this, but happens often.

So I switched to FF4 the other day and probably maybe 1/8 times I open a new youtube video, say from a link and into a new tab, FF crashes. It will just beachball until I force quit FF.

I've updated to the latest flash from adobe. I have not bothered with Safari yet. Any ideas? Is it with the graphics switching that's messing with it? I use the gfxCardStatus app. I also use flashblock extension on both browsers but youtube is whitelisted.

Thanks in advance.

2. MUBiomed macrumors demi-god

MUBiomed

I am using the 15" MBP in the sig. I too am using gfx with chrome/Firefox/and safari. I am not currently having any of the issues you are describing with any of the browsers.

I did initially have problems with beach balls and crashes with FF4 after it first came out but after clearing all of the app files out of library and doing a fresh install, it has been stable as ever. I am not running flashblock so that might be your issue if you have already tried a clean install after removing ALL associated files linked to FF4 or Chrome.

3. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I have not done a clean install for Chrome and FF4 was upgraded from FF3. I will try doing a cleaning house of Chrome. While I search for the associated files, mind pointing to me where I can find further files for the browsers? I'll do the standard drag application to trash. Thanks for the input!

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Use AppCleaner. It kills all the plist files, too.

5. MUBiomed macrumors demi-god

MUBiomed

AppCleaner is good to use if you don't mind installing it, if not I would also advise going into "library" found under your username and then into the "Application Support" folder. Delete the Firefox folder and after doing this reinstall FF4 clean. Let us know.

6. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

thanks you two. I went ahead and went into application support and deleted the chrome stuff. I'll hang onto Firefox for now and reinstall Chrome since that was my main browser and everything can be easily synced back. I'll have to test that over the course of a day to see if any of that crashing occurs.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

My flash crashes all the time under FF4 as well - though FF4 itself doesn't crash. Flash just ask for the page to be reloaded.

8. frankieboy macrumors regular

Let us know what happens and any fix you find, please. I have the same problem.

9. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

To clarify if I wait out the new YouTube tab in ff4 then yeah it's just the flash plugin that crashes. But it happens so frequently that when I see it beach ball I'll just right click the dock, it says not responding and I force quit the entire application rather than let it hang on just the flash.

At least on chrome only the plugin fails to load.

10. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I think I read somewhere, or Jobs stated, that Adobe has a team for Flash for Windows, but 1 lonely guy in a cubicle working on the Mac version.

Jobs stated that Flash was the #1 reason why Safari crashes.

This is why Apple took the heat by not supporting Flash on iOS (not that there was a working version the first 3 years anyway). FLASH SUCKS.

11. OneUp macrumors newbie

How about just enable HTML5 on Youtube and have one less Flash problem to deal with? Sorry, I know it doesn't really "fix" the problem, but I've been pretty happy with FF4 and HTML5...

You can enable it here:
    http://www.youtube.com/html5

12. aznguyen316 thread starter macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I have html5 enabled but that only works for non ads videos. Unfortunately most of my subs include ads.