Flash CS5 Questions

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by GeekOFComedy, Aug 7, 2010.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Hi folks, how Can I make a flash animation in flash professional CS5 and turn it into HTML5 content so I can either use it in dreamweaver / iweb and be able to view it on a iPhone. By HTML5 I mean animations like navigating a site. Free would be best / Cheapest as possible. And how can I make video playback in html5. Like I know I need to host H.264 video somewhere. But how do I "Make a Video player". Thanks.

2. ryanvalle macrumors member

HTML5 doesn't do animations. You will want to look into CSS3 to take care of the animations which is quite different from HTML5.

For video, implementing a video in HTML5 is through the use of a <video> tag.
    I did a post about it on my blog: http://www.ryanvalle.me/blog/2010/08/your-options-for-html5-video/

But for those not wanting to click the link, a simple html5 video tag may look like this:

<video src="" poster="" width="" height"" controls />

I suggest that you also encode a video file in both OGG and MP4 the video is playable in Safari and Firefox browsers. Firefox only plays ogg formated video while safari only does h.264 video (can be encased as a mov, but best to use an mp4). Also, not all browsers use HTMl5, so depending on your audience, you should look into HTML5 video libraries which allow for flash fallback for older browsers without the need of uploading a separate FLV or swf file. My personal choice of library is projekktor (www.projekktor.com), but am lookingforward to Jilion releasing their sublimevideo player (http://jilion.com/sublime/video).

Hope this helps.

3. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

But I saw a HTML5 site once with like moving things etc. And thanks for the Video thing. Pretty useful

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

HTML5 is simply markup language, it cannot "do" anything. You use CSS and JavaScript for actual effects. You're simply messing up the terminology here.

5. ryanvalle macrumors member

just like angelwatt said, html doesn't do anything.

Think of HTML4 without CSS. If you just have, say a <p>, you get default everything. Add in some CSS styling to that, say font size, color, font family, then you get a whole new look.

This doesn't change in HTML5 - it's still a markup language. Many people don't really see the whole coolness of HTML5 because of the fact it's just a markup language. The "new" cool factor you see with animations is all styling with CSS3 where you can set up a whole array of new styles and animation. Like HTML5, these animations don't work on all browsers, so in a sense, I'd avoid using them unless you know your specific audience or are fine "punishing" older generation browser users by not letting them see your site properly (typically a bad idea). For more compatibility, JavaScript and jQuery animation effects may be a better idea.

But with all that said, here are some examples of CSS3 in action: http://designshack.co.uk/articles/css/10-amazing-examples-of-innovative-css3-animation

6. designguy79 macrumors 6502

7. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

This thread has drifted a bit off topic, but I wanted to respond to the original title...

As of right now, Flash CS5 cannot export or save into HTML/CSS/Javascript.

You can youtube some old demos that show the ability to cut and paste animation out of the timeline and paste it into a HTML canvas tag... We were expecting to see this in CS5 (it was in the beta), but it seems to not have arrived... I would expect this functionality to be in CS5.5 next year.

Adobe is pushing the "author once / publish everywhere" mantra, so I think it is inevitable that flash will eventually allow you to choose whether your flash files are saved as SWF or AIR or HTML/CSS/Javascript. Perhaps they can pull this off for 5.5 but I would guess we are more likely to see it in CS6.

SWF is an open standard, and has been for some time... Adobe makes money selling Flash (and related tools), but has no large financial motivation to keep SWF its only output...

8. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was the demos I saw. IS there any software out there that can convert flash to HTML5 or being able to use convert flash into iOS device compatible.

9. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Simple answer is no. Not currently to my knowledge.

Converting flash for IOS devices can be done as native applications (it ships with CS5) but Apple has decided not allow such apps in the Apple store. If you are making a custom tool that can be ad-hoc distributed, this is fine. But without Apple's blessing it cannot be distributed widely.

10. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Next Q,

How Can I make a inside of a shape a button so it can go from scene 1 to scene 2. It starts off with a play button. And when you press it it needs to change to a Pause button. Basically it's for a offline project but with keyframed in one scene it just loops :(

Bump