Flash DESTROYS my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoldenJoe, Mar 8, 2012.

1. GoldenJoe macrumors 6502

Heya. I've been searching around google, but all I can find are two year old threads. Basically, I have a 2011 MBP, and I installed Flash on it. Thing is, whenever I actually load up a video like on youtube or something, Safari just hangs and becomes unresponsive until after the video has completely buffered out, and even then the playback is sometimes choppy. Restarting the mac or reinstalling flash fixes it for a little while, but the problem always comes up again. Is this a common issue? What can be done?

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

OmniWeb seems a fab browser for Flash content, i run various Flash clients on there and its smooth. Safari....i have always had flash issues with

3. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

I haven't installed Flash at all, and spend most of time in Safari.
    Because I don't have Flash, I don't see all those annoying Flash ads.
    Most of Youtube videos have HTML5 version. But, when I want to watch a video that doesn't have it, I launch Chrome, which has its own built-in version of Flash.

4. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you in the HTML5 beta in YouTube? I've had a similar problem where CPU usage increase and com.apple.qtkitserver would be using 100% of my CPU. After I quit the HTML5 beta, things were normal. No more stutter during playback and low CPU usage.

6. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

i wonder if this relates to my web browsing issue, i might try uninstalling flash.

7. GoldenJoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, thanks for all the fast responses!

I've been hesitant to download Chrome, what with how much Google loves to install stuff behind the scenes on my Windows PC. Does that happen with the Mac too? And just to be clear, if I install Chrome, I can uninstall Flash, since Chrome has its own version built in?

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Sometime ago I had to install Microsoft Silverlight for something I was doing. It really slowed down Safari, especially when there was any Flash content on the page. Removing Silverlight solved my Flash problem, and sped up my whole Safari experience. It is a possible problem to explore.

9. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Yes, of course. Uninstall Flash, and you will have Flash in Chrome only (because it has own built-in version)
    I didn't see Chrome doing things behind the scenes (installing toolbars for other browsers, etc.)

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes exactly. Plus it auto updates so you don't ever have to mess around updating Flash again.

I have been doing what is described at this article for several months and really like the experience.

You will find without Flash installed, many sites will detect this and serve up a HTML5 version of their site. If you have Flash installed, even with ClicktoFlash and other Flash blocking extensions, the sites still see you have Flash and try to serve up a Flash version of their site.

Another tip that makes this easier. Make an Applescript with the below code. When you are in Safari at a site that requires Flash, just run the script and Chrome will popup with the frontmost Safari page already there.

Code:
    tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
    tell application "Google Chrome"
    	activate
    	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
    	tell window 1
    		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
    			set URL of active tab to currentURL
    		else
    			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
    		end if
    	end tell
    end tell

11. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Dear OP, please read the quoted post and try to follow the advice. Sometimes it is necessary to join and leave the html5 beta to fix some issue.

I find that Safari + Adobe flash performs decent on my mac, while Chrome flash tends to use more resources. Html5 is the way to go for the future, but at the moment it still causes problems, at least on youtube.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What I did was leave the YouTube HTML5 beta, then install this extension. YouTube now works perfectly. This gives the benefit of making embedded YouTube vids on sites other than YouTube play as HTML5.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Heard a few good things about the extension.

Side note, I don't think HTML5 itself is to blame, it's the QuickTime plugin that is used to play/download that slows everything down (or at least that's what's causing the problem, the quicktime process always pops up and slows down everything).

14. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

I refuse to install flash, I had issues with it as well as silverlight, without never so much as a hiccup. but I have tried the click to flash safari extension, for youtube it asks if you wish to watch in flash or to convert to HTML5, it's pretty slick.
    http://download.cnet.com/ClickToFlash/3000-2378_4-10968219.html or it can be found in safari extensions..

15. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Why Steve Jobs hated Flash..

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Conclusions.

Flash was created during the PC era – for PCs and mice. Flash is a successful business for Adobe, and we can understand why they want to push it beyond PCs. But the mobile era is about low power devices, touch interfaces and open web standards – all areas where Flash falls short.

The avalanche of media outlets offering their content for Apple’s mobile devices demonstrates that Flash is no longer necessary to watch video or consume any kind of web content. And the 250,000 apps on Apple’s App Store proves that Flash isn’t necessary for tens of thousands of developers to create graphically rich applications, including games.

New open standards created in the mobile era, such as HTML5, will win on mobile devices (and PCs too). Perhaps Adobe should focus more on creating great HTML5 tools for the future, and less on criticizing Apple for leaving the past behind.

Steve Jobs
    April, 2010