Flash Drive 768 GB for the new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Qutrit, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Qutrit macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am reading that one of the possible options, apart from fusion drive and HDD is a 768GB SSD.....

I am tempted to have a SSD as big as this as my main disc and then get more space with a USB 3.0 external drive... however... how much do you think that will cost? I am worried that may add $1K to the final price :p... do you think it would be on that ballpark?

Also, I am surprised of such a large SSD.... I thought that anything above 512 GB faced limitations... maybe they have a couple of drives in Raid 0? any thoughts on this??

2. Yeroon macrumors member

Yeroon

There's no limit (but space) for SSD's. It's simply a matter of adding another 256 GB module.

I'd recommend using a Thunderbolt drive if speed is important (as it's faster than usb 3.0, even with general drives). But if that's less of an issue, an usb 3.0 drive might be a good alternative. I'm having the same plan, as I think the Fusion-option is too limited with only 128 GB SSD storage.

But yeah, a 786 GB SSD from Apple will be very expensive...

3. Qutrit thread starter macrumors newbie

Any estimates on a possible price based on previous Apple experiences? :p

And about Thunderbolt Vs USB 3.0, how much faster is it on real random access? because I suspect that the physical time it takes the drive to read the disc will be more important than the bus speed, once one get to this limits. Do you really see an improvement with thunderbolt?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Anything above 756 GB faces limitations, like needing two 512 GBs drives to make 1 GB. There is already an option for the rMBP to have 756GB of flash storage so there is no problem for the iMac.