Flash Drive Access Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BigBurd, Aug 10, 2007.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

MacRumors members have been very helpful to me. Now I have something else that might stump you. (But I doubt it!)

I use a G4 iBook and a G4 iMac at work. At home, I use a G3 iBook, a G3 iMac and a G5 iMac.

Here's my problem:

Recently, I resurrected the above-mentioned G3 iMac. (iMac 350) I used my 2 GB, EP USB 2.0 flash drive to access some work files, did my work, then re-saved the files to the flash drive. Now, at my work iMac G4, I can't open from or save anything to my flash drive. I do not have the same problem on any of the other computers! (Yes. I've made sure that I have read/write permissions, but I still get the errors messages.)

Anybody know what's up?

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks, in advance.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Do you have journaling turned-on on the G4? I don't think that should matter the way you are describing it.
    Perhaps the files you pulled off were just corrupt. Have you tried plugging it in and using Disk Utility to try to repair it at all?

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

So on the iMac G4, Finder sees the Drive and the files on the drive, but cannot read the actual files? Can you get info on the files?

4. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

To killerrobot:

I don't know if journaling is turn on, as I am away from the G4 iMac right now. I have tried using Disk Utility, and it tells me that none of my permissions need to be repaired, and that there is nothing wrong with the drive.

To Heb1228:

You are right. The Finder sees the Drive, and the files on the drive, but cannot read the files. (Additionally, it will not let me save any files to the drive ..... and there's plenty of room left on it.) And, yes, I can "get info" on the files.

Pretty puzzling, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for your help/concern, so far.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I know with iMac G4s sometimes I have been tempted to plug thumbdrives into the keyboard USB port instead of reaching around the back of the machine. I seem to remember this causing problems. Which port are you using?

If nothing else is helping, I'd recommend creating a new user account on the iMac and seeing if the same problem exists under that account.

6. BigBurd thread starter macrumors member

BigBurd

Thanks, Heb. I'll try that.

I do mount the drive in the keyboard port, and have always done it. Never had a problem, until now.