flash drive background image?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wfs123, Aug 17, 2011.

1. wfs123 macrumors newbie

hi, i was wondering if there was a way i would be able to add a background to my flashdrive. I tried one way that used the "show view options" in Finder but when i move the flash drive to a different computer (mac) but the background didnt show up... any ideas?

thanks, will

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's a way to do this for disk images, so I'm sure it'll work for a flash drive too... the only problem you may run into is that non-HFS Plus formatted drives/images may not work the way you'd expect.

This is how you do it for disk images: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ing-dmg-for-mac-os-x-using-command-line-tools

A similar process should work for flash drives. Just substitute the appropriate volume identifier.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's a lot easier than that. The following work for disk images and usb sticks that are HFS+ formatted. I don't know if this works for fat32 or other formats.

1) Right click any application and pick show info. Click on the icon in the upper left of the show info window and in the menu bar pick edit->copy. You can close the show info window. You don't need it any more.

2) Now pick the dmg you want to change the icon and pick show info. Pick the icon in the upper left of the show info window while you still have the icon from the other app sitting in the OS X clipboard and in the menu bar pick edit->paste. The disk image now has the icon you copied from the other application. Of course you could have gotten the icon from an icns file collection somewhere on the web but if you start by coping an icon from an app to a dmg file you get a feeling for how it works.

I believe the same thing should work for a usb stick you have mounted. You simply pick show info and paste the icon into the show info window like you did for the dmg file. You can eject and reinsert the usb stick and it should keep the icon you pasted in earlier.

4. wfs123 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the input, but i figured it out, i used DMG canvas to make a disk image, then i used disk utility to restore the dmg to the flash drive.