Flash Drive issue I can't find

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abailey21, May 22, 2009.

1. abailey21 macrumors newbie

So I use a flash drive in my vehicle for music, I normally load a 4Gb and have at it. I haven't done anything different than I normally do, other than unplugging it and plugging it into my iMac.

So I try to load some music on it this morning and I get a popup telling me it's write protected and I can't do anything with it?

I opened up the disc utility, but I can't repair, format, verify or anything else because it's write protected. Normally with Windows I was able to right click and hit properties and remove this, I tried on my gaming PC and no joy there either.

anyone know of any tricks to this?

2. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Very strange, it should at least format even if the files on there are write protected. Have you tried formatting it on a Windows machine?

3. MacRUK macrumors newbie

Sound mechanical.

Is there a tiny little switch that may have been moved ?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is almost always caused by one of two things, with flash drives:
    1. Most flash drives have a tiny hardware write-protect switch. Check this, to make sure it hasn't accidentally been flipped.
    2. Check the format of the drive - if it's NTFS you won't be able to do much with it without a 3rd-party utility. I don't think this is likely though, since you say you can't even format it.