Flash Drive "NO NAME" *FOLDER* stuck on desktop

paulsullivan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this website, although i've found it very useful in the past for helping me solve issues that i've had with my mac.

However, this time, I couldn't find an answer for this particular problem. So here it is. I have a flash drive, which (as i think most people don't) I didn't name. It comes up as "NO NAME" when i manage its data, and I have no problem with that. I understand how to eject it, etc. and all that. But one time i had been putting data onto the flash drive, ejected it, and later saw it had left some kind of footprint in the form of a FOLDER on the desktop, not a drive, entitled "NO NAME," just how my flash drive is. When i try to trash it, it acts as if it wants to be ejected, but won't. I don't trust myself going into the .plist and editing it, not that i don't think that would work. any thoughts would be super - this is really annoying.

Thanks in advance

Paul Sullivan

Last edited:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Have you tried restarting the computer? That usually fixes such problems in my experience.

jW

paulsullivan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
honestly, no.. :eek: this has never happened, as i let it go to clamshell sleep almost always unless i update. this has never happened before and restarting seemed unlikely to fix. i'll restart and reply.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Did you properly eject it? Just curious, the restart should fix it.