Flash drive suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hitman1717, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Hitman1717 macrumors regular

I'm always losing my flash drives, so the last time I got a key ring flash drive. This worked in that I never lost it, but I think the end of the drive being exposed (and always in my pocket) is putting my data at risk.

How do you all keep your flash drives protected? And how much memory do you get on your flash drives, mostly for word documents and other odds and ends that add up.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I have one of these. I like it, can take some bumps and the cap is reasonable at keeping dirt out. They do a mini version as well.

For just things like docs, pictures etc I'd go with about 8GB. You can still get a drive for a reasonable price then.

3. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

How many documents can you hold with a 16 gb drive? Most of my work documents are from Word or are pdfs.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

thousands ... word docs are small

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

16GB is a lot for word docs and PDFs. Problem is the size varies a lot depending on what is in them- just text, graphs, tables, pictures? However, I'd expect you to get several thousand on!

Take a folder with some of your's in and see the size.

6. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

I think this one should work for me. It seems durable and looks like it fits on a key chain. Amazon has it for a low price also.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Thumb drives are rugged, it doesn't matter if it gets all scuffed up because of keys.

8. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

The last one I had did not have a cover that stayed on and the inside was exposed. Now I have a hard time getting a USB drive to read it.

9. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

Mind you these are incredibly expensive, but they have a metal exterior, they're waterproof, and keeps your files safe if you lose it through password protection and permanent encryption. Plus it's shiny :D

https://www.ironkey.com/basic

I'm partial to the SanDisk Cruzer drives myself, but it's not a good option if you're going to keep it out all the time because the drive slides in and out and dirt can get into the opening.

So if you have an extra $150 laying around I would definitely recommend IronKey. Otherwise there are many cheap alternatives with caps that will protect it from wear and tear from a key ring.

10. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. $150 is definitely too much, especially since I will order one for me and one for my wife. I think the Corsair 16 gb should work for us. It has a cover and looks much sturdier than the key ring we have both been using.

11. Hitman1717, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Many reviews say that the Corsair flash drive is really slow and might not fit into every USB drive because of its bulk. Thoughts?

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I keep my flash drive on lanyard around my neck. SanDisk used to include a lanyard with each flashdrive sold. It no longer includes the lanyard, but it does include the attachment point on each flash drive sold.

As for the capacity of 16 GB flash drives, I have kept several years of files on a single 8 GB flash drive. Obviously, a 16 GB can hold twice as much. My primary concern about a 16 GB flash drive is uncertainty about having so many files stored on a single point of failure. You should have no concerns about capacity.

13. Mdv2 macrumors regular

I would strongly discourage you to buy a Sandisk Cruzer. I've bought one myself last month (16 GB) and its extremely low writing speed has made me to look for an alternative. It's not worth spending the money on. In fact, I think it's a shame Sandisk brings such a flawed product onto the market.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense.

15. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

The SanDisk Cruzer's are my drive of choice. Great reviews, very reasonable price, and easy to find. Best Buy for example sales them for around $20 for 8GB. Just a week or so ago they had the 8GB on sale for around $15. 8GB will hold hundreds of documents.

16. Mdv2 macrumors regular

You work for Sandisk public relations? Just google the net and you will figure out that it's not just with me suggesting this.

17. Mdv2 macrumors regular

Alright, it's not working any better under Lion, having tried various formats. Will sell it and buy a Kingston, which I know does its job.

Never again a Sandisk product for me.