Flash drive with Mac and Windows partitions (Problems under BootCamp)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ryan Considine, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Ryan Considine macrumors newbie

I have a four gig Memorex Flash drive and I tried to partition it so that one part was formatted for mac and the other for windows. I use BootCamp at work and want to keep my work files separate from my personal files. The partitioning went as it should have in DiskUtility and it looked like I had a windows and a Mac drive under leopard, however when I booted into Windows XP, only one drive showed up and it was considered "not formatted." Leave it to windows.

Is there something I missed? This just occurred to me while typing: Is it possible that windows found the Mac formatted partition first and never bothered to look for other partitions? If so would changing the order of the drives solve the problem?

Thanks.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why partition? Format it FAT32 and both machines can see all of it. I have done it that way with all my thumb drives, just so I could transfer seamlessly between work, home, and customer boxes. It really is easier, and cuts down on duplication.

3. Ryan Considine thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah

That's what I'm doing now, but I use the drive to transfer things to a coworker daily, and I wanted him to only have access to the windows drive a little for my privacy and mostly for his convenience not to have to go into my stuff and find the right folder. But it's fine, if it has to be this way I can live with it. :)