flash drives and screens

Discussion in 'iMac' started by twinsmommy, Feb 14, 2016.

1. twinsmommy macrumors newbie

twinsmommy

I admit, I haven't looked anything up. I knew this new Imac did not have a dvd/cd drive anymore. Question is, is there a way to take a program from a disk and move it to a flash drive or sd card and running it rather than getting an external drive?

Second question. I know this 27" screen is huge and I can open more than one window at a time, but I am a homeschooler and sometimes want to turn the screen around so my kids can see something. I would like to be able to connect an external monitor. Is there a firewire cable or something that can do that since the IMac doesn't have an HDMI port?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It's possible to image a disk to a USB flash drive. However, if you just need to install something, and have another computer with an optical drive, I recommend using remote disk instead.
    You can get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable, or Mini DisplayPort to DVI depending on which your display uses. It will work just fine with the Thunderbolt ports on the back of your iMac.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can also add an external optical drive to your iMac. It doesn't have to be an Apple-brand drive. Other USB optical drives will work fine.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think an external optical drive will be easier and simpler to use.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Use the thunderbolt port and a mini display port to hdmi cable for a second screen.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...s=mini+dp+to+hdmi&sprefix=Mini+DP+to+,aps,138

For any software you have on disk it may be worth seeing if you can just download the software from the website and use the product code that came with your disk to activate it.