Flash Drives for Time Machine Backup's?

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
The 1TB external drive I use for Time Machine Backup's is really slow, and I'm considering using a 1TB Flash Drive instead.

Do any of you guys use Flash Drives for Time Machine Backup's, and are they reliable?

Thank you,
m

buran-energia

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2017
You have them in most modern computers. Why wouldn't they be reliable? I'd say they are more reliable, because they don't have moving parts and usually make no noise (except coil whine in some mbp models).

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2016
Middle East
You will not get any increase in backup speed with a flash/ssd drive. It's to do with the way the backup is done and not the speed of the drive. Certainly the initial backup. Subsequent backups I've never monitored as just accepted TM was slow.

I tried with a Samsung 850 Evo in a USB3 enclosure and it made very little difference. Even a T5 doesn't.

I also tried this trick and it made negligible difference

https://www.imore.com/how-speed-your-time-machine-backups

From what I've read (but have no personal experience of) Carbon Copy 5 is very fast to SSD.

The Hammer

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The 1TB external drive I use for Time Machine Backup's is really slow, and I'm considering using a 1TB Flash Drive instead.

Do any of you guys use Flash Drives for Time Machine Backup's, and are they reliable?

Thank you,
m
What is the speed of the drive you are using. i am using a 1TB 7000 rpm and TM backups are speedy.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
I have two Samsung T5 flash drives. I just bought one super cheap on Amazon. I also use a Western Digital Elements 2Tb drive that was like $60, but it's not SSD. Fine for Time Machine backups. The T5 is way faster.