Flash "fact or fiction?"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by McCombsJRM, Mar 18, 2015.

1. McCombsJRM macrumors newbie

I have been told over the years that running flash on a MAC is a bad idea; slowing the computer down, security threats, etc.... Is this true, wives tale, apply anymore? I used the built-in flash via Chrome browser for years, but recently switched to Safari and downloaded flash. Thanks everyone!

~James

2. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Personally I think flash is garbage. I don't like to use it on my Macs or PCs.

3. McCombsJRM thread starter macrumors newbie

s15119 ~ What do you like to use to watch videos via web browser?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Flash is inefficient, but there are plenty of sites that still have it. You can use Google Chrome as your browser or you can download the ClickToFlash Safari extension to control which Flash content is allowed to play.

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Fortunately, YouTube and other video sites are converting to HTML 5. Adobe has improved the security on Flash. However, if you're using a MBA/rMBP while on battery, Flash will quickly suck battery power. It also tends to add a load to the CPU, causing additional heat.

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Its the same thing, Flash uses lots of CPU which drains the battery, the energy comes out as heat.

7. McCombsJRM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! I have seen many Flash un-install articles across the web. If I decide to go that direction does anyone have a tips?