Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loramarthalas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Gang,

For a few weeks now, every time I watch a flash movie or visit a flash-intensive website the fans on my 2010 iMac 27 rev up to full speed. They stay at max even after the iMac has cooled down.

Is this a known issue? I've googled it a bit but I havent had any luck with a solution. Short of removing flash altogether, do you think there is anything I could try?

Putting the iMac to sleep or shutting it down resets the fan, but restarting doesnt. It's weird.

dxr808s

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2011
Man, my mid-2007 HATES flash ever since I installed SL. Did okay with 10.5, but it still had its problems.

I didn't think it affected recent machines as well.

I hate to be a conspiracy theorist, but given the whole adobe/apple fiasco with iOS, maybe one or the other are purposely causing something to happen when flash is loaded.

Loramarthalas

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Just to update; looks like the fan speed issue happens now whenever a cpu/gpu instensive task starts up. At first it was just flash, but now games and applications will trigger the fans to go full throttle.

Could it be a faulty heat sensor? Applecare might be my next port of call.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Just to update; looks like the fan speed issue happens now whenever a cpu/gpu instensive task starts up. At first it was just flash, but now games and applications will trigger the fans to go full throttle.
CPU/GPU intensive tasks create heat, which triggers the fan. That part is normal. However, after things have cooled down, the fans should throttle down.

If you haven't already, you might consider installing the iStat Pro dashboard widget. It will show you the temperature of various internal components, as well as the fan speed.

You also might try resetting your iMac's PRAM. That sometimes helps with weird symptoms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.