Flash/Firefox/Parallels issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigNate, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bigNate macrumors newbie

Ok, Obviously I'm a new member and I need help with a specific problem.

Last night I ran parallels for the first time in months. I didn't open Internet Explorer, or use any flash in the Windows VM. I just ran a program that needed updated and once it was done I shut down Windows.

Now when I'm using Firefox in OS X, if I try to run a flash program (looping music crap i.e. time killer) it automatically tries to download it instead of running it in Firefox and has Internet Explorer on the Boot Camp partition as the default player. I tried right clicking and using Firefox to open it to no avail, it just tried to save it to the desktop over and over again. I also tried making Firefox the default to open .swf files also to no avail.

After all this I ran DiskUtility to check all permissions, some of which were out of whack and then repaired them. Still no dice.

I did notice that when I shut Windoze down last night that it did 19 updates when I shut it down. I hope to god one of those updates didn't hijack flash in some way or another. Although I can't for the life of me figure out how Windoze could usurp flash and affect OS X while Boot Camp and Parallels aren't even running.

Here's my system info.

Parallels 3.0 build 5608 running Windows XP on a 32GB Fat32 Boot Camp partition

iMac Intel 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB DDR2 SDRAM with OS X 10.5.6

EDIT: And i did do a search on the forums here and do a half-way decent google search before posting. I'm not that lazy.

2. bigNate thread starter macrumors newbie

Nevermind. I'm an idiot.

Somehow Firefox changed the preference for Shockwave Flash files to ask everytime, instead of using the plug-in as a default.

Why this was changed I have no clue, but that was the only problem. Sorry for wasting 20 seconds of your life reading a pointless post that had a simple answer.